Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Programming "thrillers" in WF5.0

TommyD

Hello-
Have any of you ever programmed a "thriller" (combination drill, threadmill tap, and c'sink) in ProE manufacturing using the thread milling sequence? We are running WF5.0 but none of us are quite sure how to approach this. Any help any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

What I did was a long way around but it works. I set up the thread mill as usual entering and exiting on hole axis. I set plunge feed to what I wanted the Thriller to drill at. Then I went to customize and deleted the the auto plunge. I set up a go to point and created a point at the start of the tool path offset in the Z axis the amount I wanted to start that was above the part with a feed rate of rapid. Then I set up another go to point that was offset Z-.1 from the same point. (which is how deep I wanted the thriller to go before backing up) I set the feed rate at plunge.
The tool rapids to above the part at the center of the hole, feeds to the drill depth, rapids back up to the start of the thread, cuts the thread, rapids out.
I'm sure there is an easier way, but that is what I came up with doing.

Hello TommyD, is this still an issue? Cause in my
experience, I've built a shortcut using the regular PRO/M
process implanting code directly to the generic post
processor that we own and it resolved these kinds of
issues. Let me know if you're interested.

TSchall and ronen,
Thank you both for your replies. What we ended up doing was similar to TSchall's suggestion in that we used a custom cycle with a go-to point then a G65 subroutine call to pull in the manufacturer supplied G-code to drive the thriller. We made some minor alterations to the code to suit our needs. Our post then just passes that code through using the specified go-to points and this is working very well for us.

We would love to try ronen's approach but our post processor does not belong to us (long story) so I am unable to alter it.

The thriller tool will do over 1500 holes in the ductile cast-iron material we are using it on and it saves us a lot of time in tool changes in our dinosaurs (Mazak HV-800's).

Thanks again for your replies,
TommyD

Long story there, I'm sure!
smiley1.gif
My solution is still on the table as it is a new post processor that is both understandable and affordable. See my site if you're into it: http://camnet-site.com/
ronen

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back