Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Programming Relations

reitermae

Does anyone know if you could program in a relation, in Pro/E Wildfire 2.0, for having certain parts/extrusions colored a certain color?

Sorry, color is stillnot parameterized in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0. But look at 3.0 when it comes out later this year. Material can be associated with a color and material can be specified by a parameter. Thus you can set the part color by changing thematerial parameter. Of course that is assuming it willwork as advertised today and you really want to change materials when you change colors.

I know of two options with Wildfire 2.0 and earlier releases.

Option 1: You can color the part one color and individual surfaces another color. If cuts or protrusions add/remove the surfaces, the colors of the part will appear to change. This is the same technique that won the 2004 PTC/USER Tips & Techniques contest.

Option 2: You can also offset the surfaces of the part by some small number (like .003). Apply a color to each offset surface quilt. Then supress or resume the offset surfaces to change colors. It is a hack, but it works. Be sure to set your edge and shade display qualities to their maximums. Otherwise, the underlying part color will show through and the part will look funny.

Good Luck

mmead0ws said:
Material can be associated with a color and material can be specified by a parameter. Thus you can set the part color by changing thematerial parameter.

I guess this mean that you finally can assign different colors to instances i a family table?
smiley32.gif

Remember when first trying this in R16, Pro/E crashed.....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back