Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PROGRAM CRASH ISSUES

Noooo, dont lower the RAM, it is ok..One i have seen mentioned alot is the Nvidia Quadro, this can range from $170.00 to $5300.00 (ish) it depends on the power you need. All are recommended for CAD use.

Most graphics cards just clip into a pci slot in the back of the pc, so changing the card isnt difficult. To find the best cards you are best visiting ptc's website, they have a list of recomended video cards.

Hope ive helped
smiley1.gif

What you've got is an Intel motherboard with an integrated graphics device. You can add an upgrade graphics card, but you have to check inside the computer to see if that motherboard has an AGP slot. If not, you have to use a PCI graphics card- AGP cards are most common these days. However, I'm not sure if the graphics card is even the issue here, but go ahead and get the latest driver from Intel for that chipset.

Regarding the cut you tried to make that was outside the model, make sure that you toggled from solids to surface in the dashboard. It's the second icon from the left. Then select the quilt you want to cut.

Lastly, if you wanted to use freeform solid, to get it to mirror you have to highlight the part name at the top of the model tree. This enables the Mirror function and it will no longer be greyed out. Pick it then select the mirror plane.

Good luck with the car. I've done a couple in 3ds Max, but I never tried one with freeform in Pro.

Thanks for the help guys. As long as I can figure out how to cut the surface I shouldnt have any problems getting it done. I will try to find what you are talking about tonight. I will keep my RAM settings where they are and consult someone about upgrading my graphics card. Going to bed now, thanks again.

cristelino said:
CPiotrowski

MOST important /graphic card must be compatible with others components inside of your computer

Cristel

I will talk to someone from dell before I buy one.

I've hit the jackpot for answers, I love it. I have one last question about a problem that I will no doubt run into tomorrow. Say on my car body I want to cut out a hole for the front light assembly and make a new surface connecting all the boundaries of the hole that I made. How would I go about doing this. I will need to know this procedure for many different parts on the body and right now I have no clue how to do it. Any help would be fantastic.

ok, now I am going to bed.

Merging surface i think is one of the most solution

You worked with surfaces before?Try some tutorial of that option and you will understand what i try to tell you

You try to tell us follow to have one single surface for all body car?

Is difficult to explain but for any good managemet of all surfaces is ussefull to create some layers

Cristel

I remember seeing the merge surfaces icon but never messed with it. This is the first time I have done any surfacing of this magnatude. I once made the interior ina car surfacing but it was nothing like this. That was a modified solid where-as this is a hollow surface. Will the merge surface option work if there is only one surface. I am going to start working on this 9am est. I am hoping someone will be available for me to ask if I run into this problem.

back in 4 hrs...

CPiotrowski said:
Say on my car body I want to cut out a hole for the front light assembly and make a new surface connecting all the boundaries of the hole that I made. How would I go about doing this. I will need to know this procedure for many different parts on the body and right now I have no clue how to do it.

I can walk you through using Insert, Boundary Blend, but I have a question. Do you want a gap around the headlight assembly? If you use the boundaries of the hole, it's going to appear to be a continuous surface.

I dont necessarily want a gap because that would be air. If I can have enough datums with the new surface I can alter them to appear as a different surface. What I wanted was another completely different surface that I can alter the datums for more fine tuning. Do you have AOL instant messenger or yahoo instant messenger?
Edited by: CPiotrowski

Sorry, I don't have any instant messengers, I'm at work now. I've got a couple ideas for cuts though. I'll mockup some ideas and upload the prt file for ya to look at.

OK take a look at this file. I basically used 4 tools here to make some mock headlights. Option 1 uses an extruded cut with the Thicken Sketch option - could be good for cutting out doors and stuff. Option 2 is the Surface Blend that will fill in holes you cut in the quilt. I made a Freeform surface on top of that so it can be manipulated. Option 3 is simple extruded surfaces and the Surface Merge tool, also capped off with a Surface Blend and Freeform surface for tweaking. Redefine the features to see how they're constructed.

There's probably other ways to do what you want but these are just ideas. Let me know if you have questions.

Later.
smiley1.gif

2004-12-10_150625_example.prt.rar

Excellent, these are exactly what I needed to continue. I will keep these for reference. Thanks alot for your time. Greatly appreciated!

Ok, I figured out how to fill a 4-sided hole but how do you fill a 8-sided square? meaning, a square with 4 rounded corners. I have tried and tried but cannot figure it out.

It is one cut out of a surface. The hole is sorta oblong and not 4 equal sides. I will post a pic of the cutout today. This has become a real problem, I am undable to do anything with the body of my car because of this problem. The front and back windshield, light assemblies, door knobs, all I am having this issue.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back