Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

proe for dummies

design-engine

... I got a big laugh in the office today when I noticed the solidworks for dummies book on the shelf. I said, "you will not find a proe for dummies book".

Isn't that was this site is....
smiley36.gif

I would not be surprised if someone is already working on that. And if not, somebody reading this thread should be getting that idea right about now.

Why waste your time?

Pro/E would sue the Crap out of anyone writing a book for Pro/E that is cheaper than a Training Manual or online course they offer.

By the time you explained Wildfire's non-intuitive user interface you'd be halfway through the book.
smiley36.gif

"Lesson 5: How to use a Nickel to keep CTRL key pressed while selecting entities."
"Resolve Feature Mode: Why PTC uses so much space to display so very little info."
"How to create Icons: PTC should definitely read this section"

Michael

mjcole_ptc said:
Why waste your time?

Pro/E would sue the Crap out of anyone writing a book for Pro/E that is cheaper than a Training Manual or online course they offer.

Plenty of material out there that is non PTC produced. Why would a company sue someone for showing others how to use there product? The more people know the product, the more people use it.

I'll use TV as an example, somebody had some recordings of old Saturday Night Live clips and put them on YouTube. The TV ex. wanted to sue the pants off but retracted when they found out that ratings went way up on existing show, (that has not been funny in years I might add).

We have several of the two inch thick spiral bound PTC "manuals", which in my opinion, are worth less then the paper they are printed on. Some of the other tutorials and such are good, or ok, but those books are useless. I welcome a pro/e for dummies.

dewme5 said:
We have several of the two inch thick spiral bound PTC "manuals", which in my opinion, are worth less then the paper they are printed on. Some of the other tutorials and such are good, or ok, but those books are useless. I welcome a pro/e for dummies.

I second that. PTC-produced documentation isn't worth much.

When I started using Pro/E my new employer couldn't afford formal PTC training so I was left to figure it out by myself and by asking coworkers. I tried to find books at that time and was surprised at how little was available. That's probably mostly due to the smaller potential audience compared to more general-use software.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back