Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE Central is Pro Engineer paradise 8^)

I agree. This site and the ppl in it help me much more than any book ever did. 9or the non-existent tech support from ptc)

nkpham, this disturbs me, our company is switching to Pro/E and I'm hearing more and more that PTC's tech support is not very good. Is this really true?

Steve C

Not that I'm defending tech support, but its got to be difficult given the myriad of HW and software configurations, as well as people trying to do different things.

My experience has been getting tech support to understand your specific problem. Most people do not send a trail file showing the problem. Just look at the messages on this forum! Some people state their problem clearly while others... well, confusion abounds

When you think about it, some of the best users probably aren't answering the phone at PTC and definately not at Rand and don't get me started on resellers :)

swcalvert

We all complain about PTC support, but they are as competant as any other companies tech support. The problem is that no one these days can afford to keep good tech support. I would not let peoples opinions affect a wise decision. You would have the same support issues with any software. What nkpham meant is that this forum is so convenient, it is often a better alternative to calling PTC.

There are very few people that stay in a tech support environment. The turnover rate in the tech support environment is extremely high because of the volume of calls and the complexity of the situations.

When I worked at Rand I saw what the tech support people were under and the # of people vs. the volumes of calls. I personally would last 1 day doing that job simply because of the attitude of the callers.

The forums, such as this one, are a better line of info and faster response. The other nice thing is you get not one answer from one person but a few answers from different people and sometimes in depth discussions about the subject.

Like I stated originally, I love this place. This is the most thorough forum I have ever been on to get what I need. Whoever thought out the layout deserves more money.

Brian

I have to admit, I have always been a big fan of email lists for getting answers. But.

One huge advantage at proecentral is the absence of vacation messages.

This place rocks!

Mike

Thanks, ProFishent for your support. I know that it is OK, at times, to poke fun at our software suppliers, I just need to make sure that the software bugs will be somewhat supported within the PTC community. I would rather get Pro/E modeling advice directly from the user base almost anytime, which is why I value forums like this one.

Steve C

I echo Moroso's comments:

Thanks to Everyone

P.S. Ability to edit your own forum reply message coming soon! (in case you make a mistake...)

PTC does have good Technical support when you consider tech support other software offers. One invaluable resource is PTC's Knowledge Base which is available to any Pro/E user who wishes to register with PTC. http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/search/kdb.jsp I only wish PTC would create logical, understandable manuals. I have not seen Wildfire's manuals and hope PTC has put effort into creating good manuals. Pro/E Central has been valuable to me providing quick answers to areas I could not find answers to quickly. I only wish I had the time to devote to answer some of the questions, but... I have a real job to do :))

belated answer to swcalvert.... i hear that their tech support for software isn't bad. you can't turn to them for help on functionality. I've tried asking them if certain operations are supported and they gave me the we don't do that sort of answer. this forum is much better for specific questions anyways.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back