Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problems with ATI Catalyst

ekranoplan

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this was already discussed. I
would like if somebody could explain me what happens with ProE 2001
after installing any newer version of ATI driver/control panel.
Computer I'm currently using has ATI Radeon 9500/9700 on WIN XP PRO. It
was upgraded today with new ATI Radeon Control Center. After that
unfinished lines became invisible during sketching, making practically
any sketching impossible. Colleagues reported the same thing with
earlier driver updates. It seems that ProE works only if installed on
original driver from ATI cd. If installed on update the same thing
happens in sketcher. Any idea is welcomed, since our admin is too syked
about ATI CP to be of any help and I would hate to be forced into
reinstalling the whole XP system. Does DirectX have to do anything with
it?

Thanx,

ekranoplan

Try this, it worked for me, but i was having difficulties drawing, instead of maximizing your window when Pro/E starts up, have it so that it is smaller than the full screen.

I too upgraded my catalyst drive, and everything started working so much more better.

Gtalmond

The Radeon seriescarda and drivers are not certified by PTC for use with ProE. I found that they are great for gaming, but rubbish for ProE! (I am using Wilfire by the way). I tried a Radeon 9700 with the Catalyst drivers and found that ProE was impossible to work with. I also couldn't get the dual monitors to work either!

I then went and got an ATI FireGL T2 128 which is certified by PTC, this works much much better. That's my opinion anyway!

Jeff

Both ATI & nVidia kill some of the OpenGL functionality in their gamer cards so they can sell you the certified CAD cards for twice the price.

Try to install FreeFireGL driver. Google it and find install instructions. My Ati Mobility 9600 works like ATI FireGL T2 (ocus benchmark).

AHA!!!

I stumbled on a such option surfin around. The thing is that I'm just
not too happy when I read statistics behind those playing around with
your graphic card. Anywayz most of those mumbo jumbo was connected with
RivaTuner and overclocking through it's patch scripts.

Thanks anywayz dida128 will check it out. Might something come out of it.

Well, this one is not connected with riva tuner (as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), and I haven't found anything what would be connected with overclocking. As I am informed, this particular piece of tweak works with win-registry and drivercontrolled OGL functions which HW manufacturer disabled for "low-end" graphics chipsets, but electronic core for all of them ("low-end" and "high-end")is the same.

You're right.

What I was trying to say is that I was exploring ways to tune-up to the
FireGL using Patch Scripts from RivaTuner. I have some expirience with
it because I used it to softmod my card to 9700 PRO. Patch Scrip
for softmoding up to FireGL has really bad statistics behind it.

I haven't found lot about FreeFireGL yet but I have been busy lately so I haven't spent much time on it.

But tell me, what you're saying is that softmoding to the FireGL
actually solves problem with ProE? Is it stable? How's it
handeling rest of the system and applications?

Thanks.

Yes, softmoding to FreeFireGL (not other softmodings) solves all problems with Pro/E, and the other applications are working very good. I have no problems, system is very stable, and I can say that I have no problem AT ALL. This system I am working on now is 2 months old, and it works. I mean realy works.

For example, very large assembly in master rep is opening, but the same assembly without FreeFireGL made Pro/E crash.

That sounds very good...
smiley33.gif

I'll give it a try. Today.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Ok the whole "today" thing didn't work out... sorry.

Anywayz everything is set up now and it works. My Radeon 9500Pro works like FireGL X1 and all my problems are solved.

The only only thing is that XP animations for menus and windows are
slightly retarded now... slower in showing up, I mean. It probably
takes some extra control panel tweaking to fix it up.

Anywayz, muchos thankyouz to dida128 for providing solution!!!

cheers!!

ekranoplan said:
Ok the whole "today" thing didn't work out... sorry.

Anywayz everything is set up now and it works. My Radeon 9500Pro works like FireGL X1 and all my problems are solved.

The only only thing is that XP animations for menus and windows are slightly retarded now... slower in showing up, I mean. It probably takes some extra control panel tweaking to fix it up.

Anywayz, muchos thankyouz to dida128 for providing solution!!!

cheers!!

I just did the freefiregl upgrade to my Radeon 9700 Pro card and it was a great success
smiley4.gif
Very nice (and free!) performance boost. Rendering in ProE is absolutely beautiful. I do see what ekranoplan means by "...windows are slighty retarded now..". Mine do the same thing. Did anyone ever resolve this? I can live with it if I have to but it would be nice to get it back to standard performance. Overall, I am very happy that I did the upgrade
smiley1.gif

Very good!!!

I'm happy for you MugenPower
smiley2.gif
. You're right, very nice performance boost and I would add - great money saver.

About the menu thing... well, I did some research on-line and found at
least one or two guys reporting the same side effect using different
Radeon models. Nobody provided any solution for it though. I reckon
easiest thing to do would probably be to in system properties ->
advanced -> performance disable animations.

On my XP menus sometimes work perfectly, sometimes have that lag. As much as try I can't find what causes it.

If only that HardwareLAB website had English translation... maybe there's some info.

If I make any brakethrough I'll post about it.

cheers!!

smiley4.gif
I fixed my "retarded windows" by completely uninstalling all ATI software and then doing the freefiregl installation again. The last time,I installed the freefiregl drivers over the drivers that came with the card. The card now works perfectly - absolutely no complaints (except that I didn't do this sooner).

so you have all managedto patch various the mobility radeon cards... I have been trying it for while now with various drivers and programs. I got a radeon 9600 pro turbo in my laptop and havemanagedto patch the FireGL T2 with SoftFireGL but with lots of problems (it was not developed for the mobility 9600 (0x4e50) but for the standard 9600). I figure I am missing the FreeFireGL_8x00.exe driver pack which includes mobility patches (is that the file you guys used?). Do you know where I can find it?? (hardwarelab.ru and iron.ru links are dead) and could you explain briefly the process you went through??...... (sorry to bother you... but I really really cannot get back to work until my pro/e works 5 times as fast).
smiley5.gif

cheers ekranoplan - I posted a request on that thread as well!!! hopefully someone has the file I'm looking for. (just to repeat it is the FreeFireGlL_8x00.exe!!) I mean how many people must have downloaded it whilst the link was still live!! thanks for your help
smiley1.gif
. I have even signed in and posted onto the russian hardwarelab.ru (guessing all the buttons!!). damn it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back