Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem with drawing/Referencing

Danny_13

Hi,

Iam a bit new to solidworks. My problem is.

I have a part say
"Part 2" which I got from modifying just a dimension of "part 1" Now I
want to create a drawing say "Drawing 2" of "part 2". there are
probably around 60 dimensions in total for the whole part so I wanted
to create the drawing from "Drawing 1" which was of "Part 1"

But no matter what, its not letting me do it.

I
tried renaming "Drawing 1" to "Drawing 2" and before that referenced
"Drawing 2" to "Part 2" I was able to get the drawings of "Part 2" but
all dimensions were jumbled up and one of the views was out of
proportion.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Danny, what you need to do is open Part 1 and Drawing 1 at the same time, THEN create Part 2 from Part 1 (Save As, not as a copy) and modify the dimension. Go to Drawing 1 at that point (DO NOT SAVE) and save it AS Drawing 2. Now your Drawing 2 will reference your new Part 2. There is no other way to do it AFAIK.

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton
Charlotte, NC
www.h2omarkdesign.com

Danny ! I answer you with a question:

It is strongly necessary to create a NEW part for only one dimension ?

If NOT,is very easy to create a new configuration for your "part 1". After that is easy to refeare, in the drawing, one configuration or other. Right click the view, select PROPERTIES and read carefully the options.

Good luck !

Thanks guys, it all worked...but my problems still persisted..the reason was that in the new model....the section view plane was changed and the whole thing went to hell..but i got it fixed

Open up your drawing in solidworks explorer. click on the reference tab and you can see the references. use the replace part if necessary.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back