Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro-manufacture

dsilorey

Hello,

Our company is using Pro-e Wildfire2 on the Design and Developmentside and also Pro-NC in our prototype shops. I am looking into using PTC software in our manufacturing side and am looking for some input. Is there anyone out there using this in there everyday production for machining and assembly? I'm looking to see what it takes and what are the issues you have or have had to work through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Silorey

Sr. Assco. Mfg. Engineer

Evinrude E-Tec Manufacture Engineering

www.brp.com www.evinrude.com

262-884-5459

[email protected]
Edited by: dsilorey

I have been using ProNC since Rev. 16 and have found that there is other software a lot cheaper than ProNC, but the end results by far out weigh the cost. Since you are creating the models with Proe, the parametrics between the model and the NC code exists. If you change the model, in most cases the NC code will update automatically with little or no changes in the manufacturing file. Other software usually has to import a "iges" or "step" file in order to program it. If the model changes, you must create a new "step" file and import it into the other software again, and most likely have to re-select the surfaces you are trying to machine.

ProNClooks quite complicated to someone that has been creating NC code in other software. It takes a long time and practice to become fluent with using it, but I can usually program even acomplicated part with several "indexes" within an eight hour period.

We look atour customer's prints, develop a manufacturing process, and then use Proe to make all of the process models and the process drawings.We then use Proe to design any fixtures, tooling, etc. Finally, we use ProNC to create the NC code for the machines. The post-processor that comes with ProNCallows you to make custom posts for any of your machines. Therefore, no "hand editing" is required and thus, eliminates any "human error" while editing the tape file.

Sometimes we do "RUSH"jobs for our customers, and if the fixtures aren't to complicated, we can be cutting chips within 24 hours. Depending upon how many operations it takes to make the parts, wehave shipped within 7 days. You can realize what companies will pay to get "RUSH" parts this fast. In one case, we made enough profit to pay for two seats of ProNC and the annual service fees for almost 2 years.

So you can see that even though ProNC is comparatively expensive, if you have the right people using it, is well worth the money!

Hi All

I am using pro since version 20 and by the grace of god I am expert enough in designing to manufacturing to give lectures in colleges etc. I found pro is the worlds leading software for its kind. I had tried solid works, UG, MasterCAM, DelCAM, Helix, AMD, Inventor Solid Edge and EdgeCAM but I cant get relax like Pro in any software. specially its parametric techniques, hasle free modules for all needs of industry and in case of use Intralink Its almost worry free operations.

I had madefive teams infour companies and all are working well. I had made extermely complex molds within a month (size upto 500~700mm). some small size molds delivered in 2~3 days including part designing. U can easily compare the results.

I have been using promfg since 1996 in our tool and die shop driving 12 cnc machining centers, both 3 and 5 axis. I have tried other high end (and a few low end) packages but the parametric compatability between your design platform and your machining platform is an unbeatable combination. There is just nothing else that compares. The only issues we have ever had was file size which is a non-issue these days.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back