Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E to CATIA

ksarita20

We send pro/E assemblies outside to convert to catia. They send us back the step files. When i tried to do the same step file conversion from pro/e the file size turned out to be 6 times what they have sent. Is there any any special way to deal with the Step file size. please let me know.

The type of entities that you export make a big difference. I just exported a simple part as surfaces and it was 210 Kb. The same file as a solid was 67 Kb.

dr_gallup, i tried converting the same part into STEP file with different entitites: wireframe, surface and solid. Wireframe gives the least memory. But, can CATIA version 5 pull out this wireframe model and use it in an assembly. Please let me know.

I'm sure Catia can read the wireframe but they may not want to use it like that. Solids are usually the best, I was surprised that my solid step file was smaller than my surface file. It was a simple part, other parts might not follow the same pattern.

When your service burea converted the parts to Catia, do you know what kind of Catia file they used? Catia has a facetted solids file that is very lightweight but is just an approximation of complex surfaces because there it has no curves. It is like an STL file, all planer surfaces.

THey only converted to step files. I donot know whether the step files are different from the one created in Pro/E

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back