Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E Student won't run after upgrade to XP

huey418

When I upgraded my PC to Windows XP (from ME), my Pro/E Student Ed. will not run. The whole reason I got XP is because it should run Pro/E w/o all the glitches and memory leaks. When I double-click the icon to launch, I get a window with the top border saying 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. The window says: C:\Docume~1\ALLUSE~1\...\Programs\...\PROE20~1.PIF

Then it says below that:

Invalid program file name, please check your pif file.

Does this have something to do with the winbootdir variable? Another post got that response, saying he had to unset the winbootdir variable. As a brand new card-carrying member, I will really appreciate your help.

Rick

Upgrading is worst option - Ok - reinstall your OS from zero - Ok That is my strongly recommended advice :)

Speling

PS I didn

Speling,

I just spent over 70 bucks on the XP Home Edition Upgrade. Are you saying I should have gotten something else? Or can I simply reinstall? Actually, what exactly do you mean by reinstall at this point? Thanks.

Rick

There are many ways to get Pro/E student edition to work on upgraded XP boxes or XPhome boxes... but they all boil down to the fact that Pro/E can't tell what your operating system is.

To get around this, you can eliminate the winbootdir variable as Jason suggests, or you can modify the PRo/E startup script as others have described.

This thread shows the script and you can definitely see the conflict you'll get if you have a winbootdir variable:

http://www.ptcuser.org/exploder/pro-user/200202/msg00478.html

Here's another thread:

http://www.ptcuser.org/exploder/pro-user/200203/msg00179.html

-Brian

Thanks everyone! I finally got Pro/E to launch. I did a clean install yesterday, as someone suggested. And I made sure to format in NTFS. And I removed the winbootdir variable. But it still wouldn't launch UNTIL I modified the short line in my batch file, replacing set mc=i486_win95 with set mc=i486_nt. Thanks again.

Rick

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back