Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E on Vista RC2

That information is out-of-date. Initially when Vista was released the graphics drivers had not been updated to take advantage of the Vista interface. Newer graphics drivers and newer builds of the applications should have resolved those initial performance issues.

If you look at the SPEC.org graphics benchmarks you will not see a single result for Vista. I think that says all you need to know.

Vista is focused on M$ DX-drivers. Most CAD uses OpenGL. Vista can use OpenGL but it needs to be separately loaded.

Not sure whether this means less integration and less speed and/or more "issues".
Edited by: AHA-D

Considering that Vista is fancy, great looking WoW OS, I doubt that is for high end professionals, like CAD users. As mention before, test results show up to 80% slower performances then win Xp. Yes I know that test are old, but I hardly doubt that drivers could bust up to 80% performance?

Also I didn't see any announcement from PTC about ProE and Vista. It should also be taken under consideration that Vista is more demanding for hardware, yes you could run it under les powerful computers, but then you can only run your OS, Web Browser, and media player, running more demanding software application is challenge.

Windows Viena, the next new Os from MS is coming for 3 years, who nows, maybe MS is planing new OS for professionals?

Last time they said an OS was coming in 3 years it ended up taking 8.

If you want a good and modern OS there's one and then there'sa vastlyinferior and pathetically blatant attempt at cloning the good one: OS X and Vista, respectively. If you want a good OS to do CAD on there's WinXP.

I started this thread when I thought Vista might actually be a reaonably decent clone of OS X. Unfortunately, it's turned out to be an unbelievably bad one.

Oh no, an Apple vs. Microsoft debate!

smiley17.gif

Edited by: mediumsliced

i've tried it. it's worked. barely.
i wouldn't recommend it at all. i wouldn't recommend vista to my worst enemy..

ok maybe i would just to see him frustrated :p

I was extremely disappointed at the performance of Pro/E running on Vista. Stick to XP if you can.

For some reason, Pro/E doesn't want to shut down when you try to exit. I suppose one nice feature about Vista is that if you click on the exit icon at the top right hand of the window multiple times, it shuts down the program much more quickly than in XP. You don't have to wait while the OS stops the program.
Edited by: vjacobo

I had a look for Vista support on PTC's website the other day. HP appear to be the only manufacturer to have platforms "certified" for Vista. However the certification was ONLY for WF3 M090 with nVidia graphics cards running a single version of driver (101.7 I think)

DB

Hi,

I also suffered from a very slow screen update when using Pro/E on Vista. It was solved by going to the Pro/E installation directory and then selecting proe.exe, pressing right mouse button to go to the properties dialog window, then the compatibility tab and specifying XP ServicePack 2. I did the same for all exe's in the installation directory.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

Take all the fancy fading menus and picturesque backgrounds out for me. Give me UNIX or Linus anyday. These operating systems aren't bogged down with RAM eating features that take up most of your system. Has anyone looked how many processes are running on Vista just after start-up?

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. In one review the Task Manager screenshot showed about 60 processes sucking around 1GB of RAM just after booting. Then the reviewer started up the Aero interface which used another 100MB.

My XPSP2 work PC is down to about 16 processes at boot (all users) and about 100MB of RAM. It is quite surprising how much cr*p you can safely turn off and it boots and runs so much faster without it.

The first Pro/E workstations we got in '94 (133MHz Digital Alphas running NT3.1) had 64MB of RAM and 1GB hard drives (typical desktop PC was a 25MHz 486) If M$ is telling us that their new operating systems are so much more productive, why do they need horsepower that would seem so truly unbelievable just a few years ago.

DB

P.S. My second workstation had 128MB of RAM and NT3.51. One day I got Pro/E using 108MB of the RAM which meant that the OS was running entirely within the 20MB left over.

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Hi

Can anybody tell me how to confgure license server or flexnet or start the LMGRD.exe file on Vista

i have changed the properties of every batch file to service pack2 but i always found a message

"License server is installed but could not be started for more information see ptclmgrd.log file"

please pull out me from this problem on vista

I suggest you install the licence manager from WF3 090 or newer even if you are only running WF2.

Also read the log file!

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back