Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PRO/E MODELLING BEST PRACTISES

canopys

Hello all,

I'd like to create here a topic to gather Pro/Engineer modelling bests practises. I mean :

How to built a robust model ?
Which accurary to use (abs / relative) ?
How to use geometry check ?

and so on, and so on...

This topic has come up in the forums a number of times. Here are a number of recent threads or you simply do a forum search on best practice or accuracy yourself for more threads:

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24 167&KW=best+practice&PN=0&TPN=1 [/url]

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28 383&KW=best+practice[/url]

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37 582&PN=1[/url]

Also, here is a summary of responses from another site:

2009-04-28_074359_ProeCAD_SurveyResponse1.zip

And a short list for best practices:

2009-04-28_075035_ProE_Standards.zip

Here is an article on accuracy:

http://www.proesite.com/accuracy.htm

so intresting topics, just few replies - I am estonished
smiley2.gif

this kind of question was always considered to me as fire starter at this Forum
smiley36.gif

longer I work, more lazy I become regarding modeling standards.

From my perspective it is related to the things You do.

Simply - if You create models based on existing drawings, there are tons of hints, standards to follow.

If You creating model from scratch, it ussualy ends You failed at the begining while setting layouts, standards, but Porject is so close tothe end You`re simply out of will to incorporate new standards.

From my point of view there really few things to consider while creating models:

*simple sketchers
*clear structure
*rounds, drafts, chamfers- they should be no parents of extrude, revolve or sweep
*no circular references
*consider main Assembly to maintain major references(overall size, gates, fixtures), distribute it down)

rules were meant to be broken and changed...I think I redefined what is meant to be robust with specific techniques in surface modeling....

TOTAL PARAMETRIC MODELS AND DRAWINGS!!!

I get so damn tired of being handed someone elses drawings that are totally made up of 400 created dimensions and i'm asked to make massive changes on the model and have to reflect them in the drawing. I redo the damn drawings because alot of times its faster than screwing with someone elses crap work.

If you can out-model someone in speed and precision and still have a totally parametric model and drawing you are way more valuable to your company...and much less annoying to me
smiley2.gif

Edited by: CPiotrowski

mardeb,

I like it, great list one of the best I have seen in my 10 years with Pro.
Is there any chance you could post
BPG-ProE Family Table Basics.doc ??

All the Best
MC

as far as I remember best modeling practise, quality demands are established at automotive industry.

These guys have TOP NOTCH standards which often ends within:

* datum name convention,

*files name conventions,

*config.pro and supporting files content.

*part, assembly, drawing templates

*accuracy - ussualy Absolute set up around 0.01mm

*units - mm. Newton, sec, C

*layer name convention + established rules for them

*established macros plus config files(not config.pro) to save them down

*configured Modelcheck

*no Geom check

*no rounds, drafts, chamfer children

*no external references(this however is ussualy not respected)

*Simp rep name conventions - special Simp rep for Digital Mockup

*quality regarding geometry standards for Shrinkwrap solid models

*BOM tables templates

*relations for mass, volume, size, and name parameter[collects intended digits from file name and inserts them in special parameter]

*avoiding edge referencing in sketcher

*using Hole tool for simple holes(avoiding extrude func)

*model tree structure - first model references(I call them model skeleton), outer geometry, inner geometry, cosmetics, X-sec planes, annotations

I noticed, it is modern step to avoid using Family table in any cost.

marc,

Another very good document you have put together.
It does a good job communicating family table basics clearly. Knowledge I have had a chance to acquire from the school of hard knox and countless hours of research.
I could have used it 9 years ago , but then again if I did,I would have then most likely not learned workarounds to fix those nasty gremlins that lurk in the family table world.

Moving On

What's your or any body's experience on using the Common Name parameter ?
Does your company try to use this for a so called discription or just have it match file name ?

I am in favor of keeping it simple and matching file name.

Thanks for the Family PDF

Mike

Thanks to everybody for all these informations. I think with all this I mind, I can improve my company's CAD Standards. I'd like to find procedure to allow parts sharing, modifications , large assemblies managemet and so on.

The links to the 2 forum attached .zip files on this page and also to the 2 on the previous page don't work. I get a maintenance message (since about a week now). Will these old files be put back up for download again? I'd like to have a look at them.

Zestje said:
The links to the 2 forum attached .zip files on this page and also to the 2 on the previous page don't work. I get a maintenance message (since about a week now). Will these old files be put back up for download again? I'd like to have a look at them.

I have a copy on my computer. Lots of files/posts, years worth, were lost when the database crashed a couple months back. Here is a link that is not dependent upon the Forum database:

http://santangelo-eng.com/proe_tuts/best_practices.zip 187 KB

In the zip file are ProE_Family_Table_Basics.pdf and ProE_Modeling_Guidelines.pdf

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back