Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

preditor C drone

design-engine

anyone see the new preditor drone in aviation week? I surface modeled the inlet and boundary layer diverter on top.

http://www.aviationweek.com

499ec512-084a-425f-ab9a-2112fb724ce8.Large.jpg

06e0624b-9398-40e1-91d1-7888e231a908.Large.jpg

6d045543-7ead-4b22-9317-01231333d677.Large.jpg

search 'preditor c' for more pictures. Thats a hot airplane!
Edited by: design-engine

Those are two different airplanes in the pictures you posted. The top two are the new predator C and the bottom one is a Global Hawk.

CRAP... Your right. It was the next picture in the row. Ill leave it for comparison. I wonder which has the better stealth rating?Ill bet the new one is holds a much better rating.

Cool !! please post some screenshots from Pro/E , Would be niceto see how you placed yourcurves..

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

I've worked on the prototype engine. Total teardown, inspection and reasembly.
smiley4.gif

You'll note Williams International on the side of the engine cowling on the prototype.
Edited by: CPiotrowski

Williams does the hi performance turbines for Northrup ... Pratt&Whitney makes the the predator Jet Engines. Low cost consumer jet engines are used in Predator C.

CP: are you a mechanic too? Those turbine blades are cool! surfacing intense

I was in the military as a jet engine mechanic for 4yrs. I got out and did research and development on turbines for Williams for 5yrs. I can build their engines in my mind from start to finish. I actually started modeling one of their engines.

They are based in Detroit and seldom go to the user group meetings. Design engine has written proposals for training to them over the years but never sealed a deal.

wrenching on jet turbines is the one air force commercial I watch every time! you know the one where the turbine is cranked up full throttle mounted to a pad. Bad Ass job to have!

I've worked and ran all sorts of jet engines in the military and private sector. Scary as @$#% going into a test cell while an engine is running that you just tore completely apart. Whats really fun is purposely surging a turbine at full power and watching it jump a few inches fwd on the high speed camera...or shooting a 5 lb bird into em.

I do know that commercial. Lived it.
smiley4.gif

I suppose the turbine engine is bolted down to a concrete pad with steel runners with some sort of with rubber pads of sum sort so there is some give. Is that where the 'jump' comes from?

I must not be that old if you're talking to me. :)

The turbine is mounted with a very bulky aluminum side mounted stantion and that is bolted to a steel test bed. The only rubber is on the mounts and they aren't very big. The flex is actually the aluminum stantion...thats what makes it so amazing. I would say the stantion that its mounted to is 6" thick x 12" wide x 30 inches tall. When you actually see the high speed video you can't believe the engine is jumping forward that much. And...it does it like 13 times in a second...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...

High Pressor Compressor Shaft, High Pressure Compressor Turbine and spacer. Not very though I could with the right motivation I suppose.

I must not be that old if you're talking to me. :)

CPiotrowski... yes I was ;)

Ex-Tac guy myself... made a few trip to the test cells .. pretty wild

FMS support... but that was in the old days , my understanding is that it all got renamed

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back