Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Points in 3d space

toni1

Hello!!

i have 500 points in the 3d space. Now a would like to make a surface thru the all this point.

I hear about the restayl but i dont know what is this software.

or how i do that.

By

I also need to create a surface thru about 2000 points. This was the closest thread I could find from my search so far.I will continue to search using different word combinations. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I know about creating curves and then making a blend but that would take forever. I'm using wf2 but have access to wf3 if need be.

Thanks, Bob

First, why do you THINK you need to create a surface thu that many points? There are about 5 methods per software platform for creating this type of geometry. Techniques if you will. I am willing to document those techniques here but first we have to ask a couple questions. GEOMAGIC vs RESTYLE vs AUTOSTUDIO vs ....

Techniques differ if the product is a tank turret vs motorcycle seat vs ski boot.

techniques differ if the product is a firts run and the team needs to make modifications from the firts. For example a 6" drill cutting tool has evolved over 20 years and we are getting brakes in the field. We need a model to do FEA on and we will make changes to it when done.

The latter example is usually the case with most projects. Modeling the part is not the hard part. Modeling it so it can be changed 20 times is where I (or my modeling techniques) comes into play.

So tell us about your project and tell us what needs to happen once you get the scan. ie FEA so you can make intelligent mispronunciations and more FEA.

Edited by: design-engine

Bart, thanks of rthe reply.

First of all, I THINK I need to do this because the boss told me to.

I would agree that thereprobably are many ways to do this. We havePro and Solid Edge to work with. When the Solid Edge guy gets in today, Iwill ask if there is a way he can do it in Solid Edge.

I saw RESTYLE in one of the posts and found it in the insert menu. Unfortunatly we don't have that module.

What we have is a pair of grips simular to pistol grips. We had a few different ones carved from wood. After several changes, a pair was selected. They were placed on our CMM and a .050 x .050 grid of points were taken. Now they want a surface created so we can produce them on a CNC mill.

Maybe a grid .100 x .100 would be suitable. We will look into that also.

I might add that all I've had for training in Pro, is the begining course. I think I'velearned more from this forum than in that course!

Bob

I love those types of projects. ergonomic forms are the hardest too.

My questions to the designers are geared at how accurate I need to model the form. For example. Which side of the seat do you want me to model. If they answer with "what do you mean, I want both sides" then I know they don't know each side is different. They carved the seat by hand so they are defiantly different. If they answer this way I just model the thing with out scan data and it's usually accurate enough.

I did a couple grips for some Caterpillar contract guys looking to be the rock star designers there.

Restyle and Geomagic are great for getting the form but not so great for making the first form.

300shandle.jpg

this form might have been sculpted by a designer
and scanned for point clouds .

import004.jpg

This is the form after it has a restyle surface wrapped
around it.

My process for doing an ergonomic form...

1. Have the clay scanned. Get the point clouds and get a surface to wrap around the cloud data. (we could do a 2 day workshop on restyle btw but we do not have a specific class for it. + we need two students)
http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/advanced_import .htm < I teach this class and this is where the images came from. I only like teaching this class to surfacing people that have had my one week class first.

2. model the product using curves and surfaces like you normally would if you did not have the point cloud data. but have the point cloud and surface geometry managed with layers under the parametric curves and surfaces.

"Its not how fast you model something it's how fast you change it 20 times"
so this

3. compare your parametric data with the restyle data and modify to fit.

4. Solidify and create detail drawings for managers to see.

I guess I could brake down each of the steps into steps??? Its a slow month

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back