Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Please explain sweeps to me....

nkpham

When sweeps are performed, there are axes created in the veritcal and horizontal directions. Can someone tell me if these are parallel to the vertical and horizontal planes? I have always assumed they were, but the problems I've been running into are making me doubt that.

When you select your trajectory for your sweep, the system asks you:

Select a normal surface to define the orientation for the cross section.

That surface becomes the horizontal orientation as the cross-section sweeps along the trajectory. (That surface will be horizontal).

Then it asks you:

Select upward direction of the horizontal plane for sweep section.

This specifies which side of the previously selected surface should face the top part of the screen as it sweeps along the trajectory.

it doesn't ask me that first question... just the second. i am using a student edition of version 2001 btw.

and just for clarification... the trajectory was previously created and i use it as my origin trajectory for the sweep.

I think this might help...

I've run into the same issue, and have in some cases made my sweep up side - down.

In order to get my bearings straight, I rotate the model around, in sketcher mode, to see which way my swept trajectory faces, then return to sketch orientation, and then proceed.

i am having problems because it is choosing the wrong surface to use as my horizontal reference. is there any way to define which surface I would like to use?

You're talking about a regular sweep, right? Not a swept blend, variable section sweep, etc. Is your section open or closed? Are you selecting your trajectory or sketching your trajectory?

it is just a regular sweep. the trajectory is a segment of a 3d curve created by equation and is selected. the cross-section is closed.

is my problem with 2001 or using the student edition? does everyone else get that option jason first mentioned? i would like to know how to fix this problem so i can move on.

hello all,

someone sent me an e-mail, but I accidentally erased the message. whoever that is, can you please resend your message? thank you.

This is the only question I get asked when creating a solid swept protrusion is 2001:

Select a perpendicular surface, an edge, or vertex relative to which the section will be dimensioned and constrained.

I see the Select a normal surface... when I'm doing swept blends. From what I've been able to garner in my limited use of sweeps is that a standard sweep only allows the trajectory to be in one plane so I think the normal surface is defined by the trajectory. No?

Now totally confused,

-Bernie-

Well, I've got the student version - and yes, it too asks me that first question:

Select a normal surface to define the orientation for the cross section.

Here's how I went about my sweep:

Feature>create>solid protrusion>sweep>solid>done

Sketch traj>plane>pick (front)>top (top).

Then after I sketched the trajectory, I hit the check mark then pro asks, Select a cross section - Select a perpendicular surface, an edge, or vertex relative to which the section will be dimensioned and constrained. I my case, I drew a square. I rotate the sketch around to see how my square should be layed out on the blue cross-hairs, to verify that my square sweeps along the proper side of the trajectory.

I hope that helps...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back