Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

Please explain "Specified trajectory is not valid"

nkpham

I created a 3D curve from an equation. Then I used the split curve option to segment my curve into multiple trajectories. When I try to use some of these curves as sweep trajectories, I get the above message. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't understand why some of the trajectories work and some don't. I created all of them the same way.

G

For some reason, sweeps don't work on some 3D curves, namely Curve by Equation, and Curve Thru Pnts using the Tweak Option. There are probably others, but I don't have a list.

Try using a swept blend instead of a sweep.

nkpham

This brings up another problem..... When I import the data for the sketch, I can't align it to where I would like it to. There is a free rotate and a scaling factor for the sketch I import, but I can't get it to align to the exact points I want. Is there a way to highlight the whole sketch and permanently group them so I can move them together?

termar

PTC's TPI 21286 gives a good list of what type curves work with curve sweep and curve blend features.

magi

u can make a point in the active sketch and allign the imported sketchs point with the active point of active sketch. i faced the same problem when i was modelling a tooth u can also create perpendicular centerlines in both places so u can allign them atleast with 99 % accuracy.

magi

miked

The reason sweeps dont work with some 3d curves is because you need a reference for the section. You can get around this by using a var sec sweep. There is another way around it but I havent seen your sketch so its hard to explain.

This is a sore point for me because rhino can sweep almost anything along a curve.

I have mentioned this at the TC meetings and the programmers say that rhino is crap and they could code it in a weekend. If thats the case they should take twenty minutes and write this code for us.

Sorry for the rant, Iam warming up for the TC meeting in Orlando next week :)

Mike

miked

www.rhino3d.com

Its a really cheap surface modeller that I use as a file converter. I can open/ create just about any file type.

I use it to quickly pare down my clients iges files before importing to pro.

Mike

Sponsor