Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Plane orientation issue

Borisw37

Can't seem to figure this one out.
1) Start a new part
2) Sketch on the top plane and exit the sketch
3) Make an offset plane from TOP
4) Create a sketch on the new plane and click "Normal to"
>>> 5) The orientation is 180 degrees off and the
original sketch shows up upside down <<<

I don't see any options for orienting the plane when I
create the offset. Please help.

Thank you,

Boris.

hi,

by default orientation of offset plane in solidworks will take you to bottom view as orientation in 180 degrees,so then you have to select top view orientation with "normal to"

regards,
v.avinash kumar

In terms of view, Normal to will flip direction if you are already viewing in a certain orientation. If you select Right Plane and hit normal to you'll see Right View if you hit it once more you'll see Left and it will continue to swap.

You, in referring to plane's faulty orientation are correct.

The orientation bug for the Top Plane parallel planes has been around for a while and I wouldn't expect a fix any time soon. If you create an offset plane from the Front or Right plane you'll notice the name is shown in same location as parent plane towards the top but the offset from top appears 180 deg from Top Plane text along bottom or flipped top edge.
sw_offset-pln_mismatch.PNG

If you want to change the X direction and Y direction of the sketch use Modify Sketch.

Tools > Sketch Tools > Modify Sketch

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back