Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Placing a cut on a conical surface

jluecht

I am trying to place an engraving on a conical surface. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this in wildfire? The text needs to come out straight, i.e. it remains at the same height around the surface. I was able to wrap text on the surface, but the ends curved up and i can't seem to make a cut from the resulting feature (a datum curve i believe).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jason

I'm totally reaching here but....

Would it be possible to create the text in a circle about the axis of the cone, on a plane above it, and then project it onto the cone?

Sorry, thats the best I can do.

That sounds right!!

Since you can create a simple hole in a similar manner, why not text? That's right!

Martina

I created a datum curve of the text above the cone in a circle around the axis. How do i project it onto the cone for a cut?

I figured out a near perfect way of doing it. I had the inside of the cone hollowed out as a cylinder. I then wrapped my text onto the inner surface. Using the extrude option, i cut out each letter by creating on the fly datum curves and cutting through the cone. Finally i went back and revolved a new inner surface to replace what i cut out. Not the most precise approach, but it works for cosmetics.

Jason

Create a projected datum curve as text onto your surface. Create a Tweak/Offset or Tweak/Draft Offset (either works). Create your sketching plane for the Tweak past your part geometry or the Offset will appear as a mirror on other side of part. When selecting your curves for your sketch, use Use Edge/Chain. You will obtain either a cut on the surface if you go negative or a protrusion on the surface if you give a positive number.

to project to curve to a surface , may be can try this..

>to to the datum menu.. select projected..select either sketch or select .. selct the surface you need project to ..

Then, are you going to have the engraving on a surface only or on a surface to a solid part..

if , to have a engraving on the surface on a (solid part)..

I think Donha method will work well..

if you are going to have engraving on surface..then..

>go to surface..under the menu select area offset..select the surface where the engraving to be placed.. then sketch..

if on solid part.then..

>go to solid.. after that follow Donha method..

hope all this can help.. :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back