Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pattern along a curve

rodgerandrew

I have a problem trying to pattern along a curve. Using WF4 M130 Win7 32bit

The curve is a 2Darchimedian spiral generated using an equation (found the solution here - thanks folks!).

I have created a feature at the start of the curve but when I pattern, it won't let me select the curve. I can sketch the curve using copy edge in sketcher and selecting the parent curve - this works OK but I eventually want to project the curve onto a 3D surface and therefore cannot use this technique. I have also tried copying the curve using the approximate solution to ensure it is a spline but without success.

I have loaded WF5 M080 but select doesn't work here either.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Edited by: rodgerandrew

Thanks Kenpp - I have gone about this pattern in a different way as I need to completely fill the curve with features at a specific pitch. In Pattern, rather than DIMENSION I select CHAIN. At this point it gives the ability to select or sketch a chain - sketch works but is only good for 2D but select just doesn't work either for a 2D or 3D curve.

I am now having a close look at yours to see if I can adapt it to do what I want. My feature is a cut into the surface rather like a golf ball.

Rodger

I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but I thought that it was pretty cool. There is a parameter that drives the number of divots, and also relations so that they are evenly spaced along the curve. Hopefully this helps you somewhat.

To conserve file size, I suppressed the group of patterned features.

2011-06-23_070739_CHAIN_PATTERN.zip

-Greg

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back