Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Opening .drw file of open .prt file

EddyVE

Hi all,

I usually give my drawings the same name as my parts. For example:
MyPart.prt and MyPart.drw

If you have MyPart.drw open, and you do "File / Open", the file selection dialog box appears and it automatically preselects the file "MyPart.prt".
So, all I have to do is press OK and file MyPart.prt is opened.
I find that a very handy feature.
But unfortunately, that does not work the other way around.

If I have part "MyPart.prt" open and I open a new file, in the file selection dialog box the first file in the working directory is preselected, and not file "MyPart.drw", as I very much would like.

Is there a way to achieve this ? (I am running WF2)

Best regards

Edited by: EddyVE

in unix you could search using 'grep' and locate the reference to you part in a drawing on the system. I would think you could do this type of search with a PDM software.... We don't have any PDM software installed at our office but....

Does intralink let you search like this?

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your contributions and for the links.
I'll think I will write an AutoIt script to do the job. I am already a bit familiar with AutoIt. All I have to do is to figure out the easiest way to grab the part name.

Best regards

doronron1 said:
Ihave found exportingthe audit trail is the easiest.

Hadn't thought of that one. I was thinking to use AutoIt to grab the current Pro/E window title because that has the name of the current part in it, or otherwise do a 'Save a copy' and grab the model name.

E.

Eddy, you are correct in this case, when you just need the part/assy name. It will save you exporting a file then extracting the information and deleting the file. I'm using the file method because in some autoit scripts I need the suffix as well.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back