Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Nvidia 9600 GT

peter_hajdu

Hi
I know Nvidia 9600GT VGA is not for PROE, but it is in my new pc and I would like to try
with proe 2001.
I up to now could only start Proe2001 in win32_gdi, however opengl is set in config.pro too.The VGA performance is very veak in this mode.
I tested it with all nvidia 9600gt drivers without success.
Do you have any idea, how to start proe in opengl mode with this card
smiley25.gif

Edited by: peter_hajdu

My home PC has an 8600GTS that is not intended for Pro/E either however it will run 2001 although it runs like s**t but WF3 runs great on it. Spinning of shaded models is probably 10x or more faster than 2001.

Game video card makers are notorious for tweaking drivers to run the latest games at the highest frame rate even if it does stuff up old games. I suspect the same thing is happening here. Being a relatively new graphics card I don't get the choice of loading an older version of driver to see if that will fix the problem.

Are you running XP or that devil spawn Vista. If so I wish you luck, you will certainly need it.

DB

Thanks.

Our PC runs on XP SP2 (now SP3 but did not help)

Now we are thinking about to buy WF4 (if it works, but nobody can tell us)

Up to now, I haven't had the time to check it, but my colleague simply couldn't start WF2-3, just 2001 (that one runs only in win32-gdi mode
smiley18.gif

I got ASUS driver with the VGA when I bought it.Then I downloaded all the others

from the ASUS site. None of them worked. Then I downloaded the available Nvidia

drivers from the nvidia site.

I have tried all of them(3+3), which were available till last week.

Have you tried installing any OpenGL games like Quake 2,3 or 4 or Doom 3 to check if you can get OpenGL working at all.

If I remember correctly the older versions of ProE queried the video driver to find out if it supported the full OpenGL specification. If not it would only run with GDI. Game cards do not support the complete OpenGL spec.

The later version of ProE no longer do this. I do not remember when this change occurred.

Peter,

if you have the original Doom or Quake 1 you can google glquake or gldoom to get the openGL versions to test your OpenGL subsystem.

Alternatively you can get an OpenGL version of the classic arcade game "Space Invaders" from http://spaceinvadersgl.sourceforge.net/ However if you try to start this fullscreen higher than it's limit 1024x768 resolution it may bluescreen.

Also, whenever you get a failure of any application or game, look in your "Event Viewer" for graphics type errors at the time of the failure.

Kevin,

while there may be some game cards that do not support the "full"
OpenGL specification I have never come across it any cards like that. I
have seen Pro/E run on several nVidia game cards including but not
limited to

2001, WF2 & 3 on a 8600GTS

2001, WF2 & 3 on a FX5200

WF2 on a Geforce 4

2000i, 2001, WF1, 2 & 3 on a GeForce 3 both in native mode and when
soft-quaddroed to a Quaddro DCC in order to get a unified back buffer

So there is nothing here to make me believe that this is necessarily the cause of the problem.

DB

Thanks for your advices!

Now I installed WF2 M260 and it started in Opengl mode.

Basic performance is ok, I will see if it makes any mess on the screen.

DB

"while there may be some game cards that do not support the "full" OpenGL specification I have never come across it any cards like that."

Technically you would be correct. These features are turned on or off in the driver. You gave an example of this:

"GeForce 3 both in native mode and when soft-quaddroed to a Quaddro DCC in order to get a unified back buffer"

Thevideo driver does not support the unified back buffer unles the driver is tricked into thinkingthat the Geforcecard is aQuadro card.

There are some chips though that do not pass production testing in these areas are thus are not sutable for Quadro functions but are sutable for Geforce functions.

There is a utility, GLView I believe, that will tell you more than you want to know about your graphics card.

Kevin

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back