Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Not unbendable part

emerico

2009-08-28_043916_pali.prt.zip

Hello

My name is Imre. I need some help with unbending the part attached. I think that the part can be unbent because I can not see any mistakes. But yet Pro/ENGINEER WF3 is unable to unbend the part.

What may be the problem?

Thank you for any help.

Sometimes Pro/ENGINEER as some other application can behave in unpredictable way. It may be inner error or something like this.

Thanks

I would have set the accuracy to as low a value as possible....but if that doesn't work I'm not sure.

What way are you trying to unbend the part?

Iwas trying unbend all, unbend selected, inone or more steps, and create flat pattern. In all cases a message appeared saying "Feature aborted. Geometry is not unbendable.". If I set the accuracy at 0,01 after updating the regeneration of the part failed at the first feature (FIRST WALL). I suppose you just click on "Flat pattern"choose a surface and done. I am starting to give it up...

Emerico, you need to set the accuracy value to a lower value. 0.01 is larger than 0.0001 Try something like 0.00001 instead.

Two points:
1. I would NOT recommend changing part accuracy to get simple features to work! Your CAD admin will probably also encourage you to leave it alone, too. As your accuracy value gets smaller, the part file gets heavier and heavier. Especially for something as simple as SM unbends.

2. Unbending a SM part to check bend relief, clearance, etc. is a useful tool but any sheet metal shop worth its salt uses their own highly specialized software to do this. The unbend they do will vary from the default unbend selections ProE makes, as the K-values must be controlled so that you get an accurate part after the sheets have been cut and folded.
If you're trying to unbend the whole part for feature modeling purposes, then that's another story (but you're probably better off selectively unbending specific bends if that's the case).

Adam

Adam,

on your point 1 - I agree you shouldn't have to change the accuracy but from past experience I have had to to get parts to unfold though generally they are varying sizes created from a family table. If you can recommend another way to get the part to unfold I'd be interested to hear it. Until then I'll keep changing the accuracy to a level which allows my parts to unfold. I do run a decent spec of workstation and on the few parts I have had to change the accuracy on I have found no problems with the 'heaviness' of the part file.

Your point 2 - We unbend 90% of our parts on ProE and send the flat pattern to our CNC turret punch press with great success and without the need for additional software to flatten the part. In the past espacially in prototyping instances we have had to generate the flat pattern to get a part laser or plasma cut which we would then fold inhouse.

Hi all,

I tried something whichdid not surprise me. I saved the part as IGES then opened it. After that I converted into sheetmetal by picking up the front outer surface. Finally I could flatten the part by launchingflat pattern. I am absolutely sure that there is something wrong with Pro/E wf 3.0 with Date code of M60.
Edited by: emerico

Hi

You all guys are absolutely right the problem is with WF3, I was able to unbend these part without any issues in WF4, but when I tired it in WF3 Its failing.

Regards

Suresh
WF4 & WF3

Hi,

Many thanks sureshdesigns. Great! That was what I suspected.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back