Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

non linear analysis

jayashanger

Is there any way to determine the nature of the material (non linear or linear) other than looking its experimental stress strain curves. For example I have to do an FEA on ABS material, so should I refer for its experimental data?

Thanksfor this kind help.

- J

-J,

The only way to findout if a material is non linear is by looking at their stress-strain curve. However, for plastics and rubbers the materials are nonlinear basically nonlinear in nature. However sometimes this materials are analyzed as linear but there isalways errors in the results. The question is how much error is introduce by assuming a linear model. So it is always recomended to understand the type of non metalic material that will be used in the analysis.

Luis

Lius,

Thank you for the valuable input. But when i look at the stress starain curves of certain plastics, they seem to be very linear within the elastic region. So how would you go about in determining the error associated. And moreover, we assume that the design fails when the stresses are more than the yield stress, so could you please explain the error detection part in detail, or in other words what are the other things that you would look into, if you were to do such analysis in your vastexperience.

Thanks

- J

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back