Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New to Wildfire - Need Help with Quilts

sundevil98

I'm trying to get a head start in modeling in Wildfire 2.0 before our company makes the switch from 2001 to WF2.0.

I'm having trouble merging quilts. It's no problem to merge one surface with another surface to create a quilt, but I can't figure out how to merge one quilt with another quilt.

For example, I have two closedsurfaces merged together (an intersect that create a closed quilt). This quilt has rounds on the corners that are left after the intersection. I have an extruded surface (with closed ends) that also has rounds on the end edges.

I'd like to merge the first quilt (merged surfaces, and rounds) with the second quilt. In 2001, I would simply do Feature -> Create -> Surface -> Merge then select the first quilt, and then the second quilt, and could choose the "direction" of each quilt to make it a merge, or intersection, or whatever. However, in WF2.0, I can't do a merge unless I select a surface feature in the model tree. I want to merge the whole quilt, not the surface.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? I know that WF2.0 can handle such a task, as I can open old 2001 models, but I just can't figure out how to make it merge two quilts together.

Also, I need guidance on how to transform quilts. In 2001, I could do Feature -> Create -> Surface -> Transform. But, I don't know how to do it in WF2.0. I can copy a bunch of features, and do a past special, but it's not quite the same. I can translate the copied features, but I'd also like to be able to mirror them. And, I'd also like to have the option of not keeping the original surfaces (like I could in 2001).

For example, I'd like to be able to mirror a quilt (like above, two merged surfaces with rounds on the corners) and then translate it 50 mm (or whatever) in one direction.

Again, any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

mirror is under the edit menu and paste special will let you move or rotate your quilt.

Iam not sure why you cant merge two quilts without seeing the part. You could try using intersect between the two and use the resulting curve to trim them before merging. This might give you a better idea of why they wont merge in the first place. edit>intersect

miked

"I want to merge the whole quilt, not the surface."

Set the selection filter to "Quilts". (I'm not sure there's any functional difference as long as the Merge tool becomes active?)

after you merge two surfaces use that merge in the model tree or select it from the model. once you merge surfaces in order to use that quilt you must pick on the mergeed feature.

jeff4136 said:
"I want to merge the whole quilt, not the surface."

Set the selection filter to "Quilts". (I'm not sure there's any functional difference as long as the Merge tool becomes active?)

Thanks for the help everyone.

This was the tip I needed. I don't know much about WF2.0 yet... and didn't know there was a filter for selecting stuff. It was set to "smart", but switching to "quilt" lets me do everything I need to do.

Thanks again!

Super deal.

I've never seen pre-WF Pro/E but believe WF introduced some pretty radical changes to object selection methods (?). Also pretty sure I've seen a tutorial or some other document on PTC's site that is relevant. Might hunt for it or maybe someone has the link bookmarked and can provide it. Sorry to be so vague; I'm basically a pretty disorganized person.

smiley1.gif

Hi

You can select the 2 surfaces r quilts u want to merge first in wildfire then go to edit>merge then you can choose ur option in the dashboard as you like.

For transforming the surface select the surface edit>copy

Ihope u can understand

This wouldn't apply to this specific problem you had, but don't forget to use the "menu mapper." As one who (like you) made an early transition to WF before the rest of the company, I found ituseful for locating basic functionality.

Look under user tools in the browser page that loads up when you start proE. Or go to www.ptc.com/community/proewf2/newtools/index.htm

hi dudes ,

I wanna free tutorial of advanced surfacing & isdx

can any body help ?????????????????????????????????????????

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back