Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Nested Family Table

Create your top level family table. Then, open one of the instances and create a family table within that table instance. This is common for hardware. First you select the thread size of the screw, then within that instance you can select a length (head style, material, etc).

<tg>

For library items they are handy, but I agree, I wouldn't model a custom design in this way. It would be very difficult to deal with.

<tg>

I agree with dr_gallup family tables are powerful but nesting them can cause difficulties. The best thing with family tables is to keep them as simple as you can.

One thing that always causes issues in nested family tables is the fact that any value or parameter that exists on one level, can't exist in another level. This makes it impossible to use something like a part number parameter for each instance and every level.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back