Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Need help with radiuses and engineering d

howiep

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Hi everyone, This is my first encounter with Sheetmetal and I have to model up a display unit. There are a few things that are giving me trouble.

Firstly

Aaagh! Now the upright bit at the back won't unbend. It won't tell me why, it just won't do it. Any ideas? it only seems to be having trouble with two (identical mirrored) bends. Any advice at troubleshooting this sort of thing?

ok so people are aware i've figured out how to do the engineering drawings properly using something called a flat state. There's some really good info (if a bit old)on it and lots more here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2469405/Pro-Sheetmetal-LESSON

Ihave managed to make it unbend by putting a 0.1mm radius on the problem bend. It'll do for now but it's not ideal. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Phil

Why not just create a family table? In that way can add instances as may you need.Regarding the bend problem; well I never heard of 0 rad(not lower than .007 inch)bend. Perhaps the inside but not the outside. Anyways trying settingyou accuracy to the minimun.

Make sure you dont got bends/relief cuts referenced to bent walls and what not. If you unbend it your references get all messed up. Reference almost everything to the 3 datum planes: front, top, right or x, y, z. And the mirror could be part of the problem, butI got little experience with using them with bends.

I found what you need to do with the radius problem. You need to change the shape of your first wall so the sketched bend line doesn't interfere with entities (line/curve segments) in your first wall shape. Experiment with moving your sketched bend line out away from the part a bit. So you basically need to move the cut outinwards on both sides.

Also on your sketched bend line, extend the line out more. See how it doesn't go past the radius cut? It shouldgo pastall shaded areas. Zoom in on the end of the line too see this.
Edited by: hopper213

If you really need to do a zero radius bend read up about "Edge Bends" at
<loadpoint>/html/usascii/proe/sheetmetaldesign/your_de sign/about_edge_bends.htm

Personally I don't think is a good choice in this application as it is unrealistic, you should make the inside radius very small in which case you may need to change the default accuracy from 0.012 to a smaller value

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back