Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Moving Base of Ordinate Dims

Rbrgr83

So, let's say I have a whole butt load of ordinate dims.
(If you don't know, that approx. 15-37)

These dims all have the same base. Is there a way for me to move or redefine the baseline? Or do I just have to sod it and start over.

Well, I for one didn't find any way of doing that.

(off topic: Inventor has a nice option to move the origin, just drag and drop to a new place)

I usually Create Datums at the end of my model tree specifically for ordinate dims.

By doing so You can fully dimension a drawing using ordinate dims from [ORD_X], [ORD_Y] and [ORD_Z] or what you decide to call them. When you are doing ordinate dimensioning you can create your first dim using the plane and use the baseline for that dim to add all your other dimensions. I came up with this method after having to replace 100 or so dimensions on an inherited drawing. It's a good time saver for more complex parts.

If you do this and decide to change your Baseline all you have to do is Redefine the placement of the base plane [ORD_?] and all your dimensions will update accordingly.

I've mentioned this before in either this Forum or another and never heard any responses. I guess people love to recreate loads of ordinate dimensions.

I think A product enhancement is in order to allow Changing the baseline of a group of dims or by redefining the leader dimension to be prompted to update references for associated dimensions.

Michael

mjcole_ptc said:
I usually Create Datums at the end of my model tree specifically for ordinate dims.

By doing so You can fully dimension a drawing using ordinate dims from [ORD_X], [ORD_Y] and [ORD_Z] or what you decide to call them. When you are doing ordinate dimensioning you can create your first dim using the plane and use the baseline for that dim to add all your other dimensions. I came up with this method after having to replace 100 or so dimensions on an inherited drawing. It's a good time saver for more complex parts.

If you do this and decide to change your Baseline all you have to do is Redefine the placement of the base plane [ORD_?] and all your dimensions will update accordingly.

I've mentioned this before in either this Forum or another and never heard any responses. I guess people love to recreate loads of ordinate dimensions.

I think A product enhancement is in order to allow Changing the baseline of a group of dims or by redefining the leader dimension to be prompted to update references for associated dimensions.

Michael

MJ,

That's a cracking idea for baseline dims. Will use it in the future (fortunately most dimensioning I do is baseline not ordinate)

Kev

Great idea
smiley32.gif

Thanks Michael

navanee said:
... But if the reference to the baseis lost, it is possible to redefine it....

You know, this sounds kind of interesting. Seems like you could just force it to loose it's attachment reference then you are forced to re-attach it. Just wondering if that could work.

Regards,

SrGilberto

mjcole_ptc said:

This is why Iparticipate inthis forum; the small, simple ideas that are just pure gold! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back