Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

modify the "create hole tool"

sherbert

Is it posible to modify the hole creation tool to include other standard threaded holes such-as 1.75-40 UNS-2A

Hi sherbert,

you will find the description of the holes available in the hole tool in /text/hole

There you can add new files for new standards or you can add lines to existing files for new sizes

Stefan

I tried to consolidate both metric and English fasteners into one file and can't get that to work. I looked at the text file and the format appears correct. Is it a matter of changing units? You'd think this should work.

We end up with a lot of instances where both types of fasteners get used on a part (that's reality in the US). It's a pain because, as far as I can tell, you can't even switch from one hole file to another while in session.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

I have created a new file for uns threads. If you look at the top of the file (the header) you will notice that the table_units is declared. That maybe the problem you are having. also to have the file regognized thread_series in the header must be differant than that which is in any othet *.hol file in the same directory

By the way Thanks to stefanba for you help in pointing me in the right direction.

Hi,

i tried to modify the cbore depth and diameter but couldn't get it to work. can someone point me to that? Thanks.

Sherbert,

i opened a hole file and added in 2 columns cbore_depth and cbore_diameter. put some values in but didn't see any changes. thank you for the reply Sherbert.

Those parameters are not available in the 2001 hole file.

Wildfire uses parameters cborediam, cboredepth, csinkdia, csinkangle. so might want to look at wildfire.

So how do you edit the text / make changes or additions to these .hol extension files? When you open up the files in an ASCII text editor the text is not organized in neat organized rows and columns. The text in the file is kinda scrambled. Or maybe I'm just using the wrong text editor (I'm using Notepad).

Sherbert,

you're right. 2001 doesn't support that. i put those parameters in the hole file but they were erased after proe was loading up.

the hole files for wildfire and later seem right.

Freecat,

i used wordpad to edit the file.

I also use wordpad. I did edit the files, because I prefer the unf, and the unc to be in caps ie UNF, UNC.....

I did have to get permission from our system administrator to do this, because the directories, and files are access protected.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back