Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modelling a 3D lattice

DB_Mechanical

Hello

I have all the nodal coordinates of a 3d lattice framework that I would like to model in Pro/E WF4. The connections between nodes are to be constant cross section cylinders, and the lattice is random, so therefore can't be created by patterning a small section/single cell of it.

My current approach is leading to an enormous regeneration time, and I was wondering if anyone here can come up with an elegant way of modelling the lattice from its nodal coordinates.

Current approach:

• Use the offset coordinate system option to create a Point feature that contains two points
  • Pattern this feature according to a ProTable containing the nodal coordinates
  • 'Insert-Advanced-Pipe' between the first pair of points
  • Pattern the pipe across the pattern of points

This approach works well for ~1,000 nodes, my issue is that I need to model a lattice with ~25,000 nodes!

Any ideas for a variant/alternative approach that would reduce the computing grunt required?

Thanks in advance

I have had success in the past with a rather unorthodox approach to a similar problem.

To save regeneration time in the future, create an assembly with an empty part called what the final part will be called, for instance "lattice". Then assemble other parts with manageable sized patterns using your approach for various portions of the entire part. Merge these parts to the empty part. Now you can open your final part without opening the assembly and all that regeneration time goes away.

It can be rather tedious, but when it's done you don't have to wait. The only time you will have to open the creation assembly is if you want to make changes to the original lattice arrangement.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back