Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

modeling

First of all your problem is a sheetmetal problem so you better place it in sheetmetal forum.

Now about solution to your problem, the solution is attached. Such problems are better solved tthrough bending a flat part rather than unbending a curved part.

2005-04-09_221752_solution.prt.zip

Israr

Israr

The answer is simple.

You must have at least one straight edge to select as reference to flatten this part. Change the extrude2 feature in your model so that the one curve has a small straight line.

Then select this edge when you flatten this part

Marius,

But the part he wants to unbend has no straight line, and if you make a small, no matter how small it is, it will not be the desired part.

So i think some models can be created better through bending a flat part while others by unbending actual parts.

Israr

Hi Marius and Israr,

the problem is that I have to cut the part out of a tube. To transfer the part to the machine I have to flatten it. So I'm starting the design of the part by having the outer diameter of the tube.

Jochen

Will just unrolling the outer surface of the part get you where you want to go (copy the surface, Insert, Advanced, Flatten Quilt)?

Jochen,

As you'lle see in the posts above you've got 3 options.

1) Create the part as a flat part and use the bend/roll feature. (The best way but not always possible.

2)Change the model so that you've got a small edge that you can select as a reference for unbending. Proe will prompt with the following message" Select plane or edge to remain fixed while unbending/bending back." The system needs this edge or surface to determine the unbending direction.

3)Copy the outside surface and use the flatten quilt feature to unbend. This is very helpfull when you get those funny parts that just wont unbend. Just remember that this option will not take your y and k factor into account.

Marius

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back