Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modeling engraving or laser cut marks

eharmony

View attachment 106

I am trying to figure out the fastest way to apply markings to modeled parts. Project feature, cuts, wrap and plain sketched entities will all work but each has a draw back to it. A simple project feature is quick but will only allow an outline of the curve feature and not a filled region as it would result from engraving or laser marking. In the image you can see two curve features. This is just a simple project onto surface curve feature that is sketched and patterned easily.

The problem is it does not have a fill to it and the fill feature ONLY works on flat plane sketched features. IN all of our expert Pro/E people what would we agree upon that is the easiest way to show this (laser marking) but is also visually correct on the model. I.E. we can show a line on the model of no certain thickness but in a drawing mode we would make a note that says the line thickness is .38mm wide.

I have not found a way to change the properties of a sketched curve feature to show a line width. If we could then the answer would be far simpler.

Thanks to all who post, I enjoy reading them every day and thanks to a great web site and the help it has provided me.

Eharmony

I tried the cosmetic sketch but that too has the same problem as the projection feature. They both will not fill the rectangle that is the line width and length.

I noticed the picture on this site is hard to see the two datum curves on the surface of the round part. I will try to send another image for clarity but here is another scenario.

You want to laser engrave on a shaft a circle that is filled. This is to say that the circle has the center engraved out of it representing a dot and not a circle geometry line. Which method would you use? Project the circle onto the surface is quick but cannot seem to fill the circle. It would seem as though a cut is the only way but that involves many more steps.

Eharmony

Your start with a projected curve is right. Now create a surface by copying the solid surface of the cylinder. Trim that surface using your projected curves. Apply the desired colour to that surface. Offset or transform it a very tiny bit to get rid of the zebra effect. Increase your shade quality.

Huug

In drawing mode you can use detail/tools/use edge, select all the edges to make a closed boundry. You can trim the draft entities if necessary. Then use detail/create/filled area. The only problem with this is you have to do it all over again if your model changes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back