Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Methodology - mating pieces in assembly

scottm

Essentially, I've got a piece of sheet metal (rolled at a given radius) and I am reinforcing it with ribs (angle iron) and various other parts on the back.

What is the best way to construct this assembly? Right now I've designed the sheet metal and the ribs seperately with fixed dimensions and used the edges of the sheet metal in the assembly for positioning and patterning the rib pieces.

It seems like I should just build the ribs in the assembly - but that seems restrictive compared to building them seperately.

Also, when I've got the top and side ribs intersecting, what is the best way to handle that. Can I do cuts in assemby mode?

I've got FOUNDATION...

Thanks,

Scott

Which version of pro are u using ? In 2001 you can "cut-out" intersecting parts. Go to component, adv-utilities, cut-out. The individual model will be automatically updated and if any parts change parameter the "cut out" cavity will update aswell.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back