Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

merge two unattached walls in a sheetmeta

baseer

Hi,
Everyone.
Is it possible to merge two unattached walls in a sheetmetal? To make it as one wallso thatI will have one solid edgefor construction ofa wall on that.
Regards,
[email protected]

Yes it is possible, there are two ways to get to the merge walls feature. You can either goto Insert -> Merge walls or click the icon (If you have them showing)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
In the Merge wall option I have following steps please be
more clearer to me how to execute
1.Basic Refrence---Which wall to be taken?
2.Merge Geometry---Shall I take wall1 & wall2?
3.Merge Edges---Which edges neighbor edges/normal
edges?
4.Keep Lines--- What is this?
Thanks in advance.
[email protected]

1. Basic Refs - With this option you are selecting the original wall that is already there, in your example above I would assume wall 1 is what you already have in your model and wall 2 is the unattached wall. For this step, you are selecting wall 1. After you select wall 1, click OK then choose Done Refs

2. Merge Geometry - With this option you are selecting the unattached wall to be merged to your first selection, which was wall 1. For this step you are selecting wall 2. After you select wall 2, click OK then choose Done Refs

3. Merge Edges - I never define this, ProE defines this option is used to, "Add or remove edges deleted by the merge." This is an optional item, you don't have to define this, I never have in the past.

4. Keep Lines - I leave this to it's default setting which is Do Not Keep Lines. This option is used to, "Control the visibility of merged edges on surface joints."

After you have defined steps 1 and 2, that should be all you need to do. Click OK to finish setting up the merge and you will notice when you goto line view of your part that it is now all one wall.

Good Luck

Edited by: jpoole6711

Hi,
Sorry to disturb you again,
When I go with first step.
1.Basic refs--- it is asking and allowing me to
select only surfaces with

That is correct, you will only select surfaces, and there is actually only one surface you can choose per wall and that is called the driving surface. If you change your sheet metal part into a line view, as in not shaded, you will see your sheet metal has a green side to it and a white side to it. The green side is called your driving surface. An example, You have a C channel made out of sheet metal and the driving surface, the green side, is on the outside. If you were to change the thickness of your part, you will notice that the thickness grows from the driving surface, or in this example, if the driving surface is on the outside, the thickness grows towards the inside of the C channel. If this is your first time hearing of driving surfaces in regards to sheet metal, I strongly advise you to read up on sheet metal design. To reference back to your original question after understanding that, when the merge walls feature asks for:

Basic Refs - Select the driving surface (The green surface) that is part of your wall 1

Merge Geom - Select the driving surface (The green surface) that is part of your unattached feature, wall 2.

In my example below, I would select the green surface of my wall 1 for Basic Refs. I would select the green surface of my wall 2 for Merge Geom.

View attachment 4767

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
i looks you are using WF2 but in my case i am using WF5.
Step - 1
i am successful in selecting Basic reference wall-1
Step - 2
i am not being able to select green side of wall-2.

can you please explain why it is happening.

regards.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back