Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mechanica Hardware Setup

skline101

We are getting ready to buy some new computers and where told to get dual processors for running Mechanica.

Im looking for any info that can help Should I get a single processor or dual processor.

In order to take advantage of dual processor the software has to be written to do so. As far as I know Mechanica is only written to use dual processor in only fewcomputer platforms. I believe only Sun and SGI work station takes advantage of multiple processor.In the PC/ WINDOWS platformsMECHANICA does not takes advantage of the dual processor. The only advantage of ruining MECHANICAon a PC with a dual processor is that you may be able to dedicateone of the processor to run the mechanica analysis while the other is use for something else (ie ProE).If you want to speed up the mechanica analysis on a PC platform you moneycan be better spend by buying the fastest CPU available with as muchRAM memory as possible.

Luis

You can use multiple CPUs on Windows as of 2001. It won't cut your analysis time in half but I have measured 10-20% improvements depending on the type of model. It is helpful to have 2 cpus so you can do other useful work while mech runs on one cpu. However you will have noticeable slow downs when mech writes to disk and eats most of the ram, especially with big models. I had the most success using remote batches to run big models on workstations (sometimes older, slower ones) that were not being fully utilized. If you don't have that luxury and are running larger modelsthen I recommend dual cpus.

Here's some info from TPI 106426:

In Pro/MECHANICA STRUCTURE/THERMAL 2001 parallel processing is enabled again. Parallel processing allows the engine job to run on multiple CPUs at the same time, with the goal of reducing the elapsed time for the job.

For MEC/S/T 2001, the following platforms support parallel processing:

i486_nt
ibm_rs6000
sgi_elf4
sgi_mips4
sun4_solaris

The sun4_solaris_64 and and hpux_pa64 platforms released on the 2001430 CD do not support multithreading.
To request parallel processing on these platforms set the environment variable MEC_NUM_THREADS. Example:

Unix, csh: setenvC n
Unix, ksh: export MEC_NUM_THREADS=n
Windows: in DOS Shell: set MEC_NUM_THREADS=n
or in the #Control Panel, #System, Environment

where n is the number of idle CPUs on the system. If the Structure/Thermal engine is the only job running on the machine, the number of processors can be selected automatically by setting MEC_NUM_THREADS to "-1". Example for csh:

setenv MEC_NUM_THREADS-1

If MEC_NUM_THREADS is set greater than the number of idle CPUs, the parallel tasks may interfere with each other, and cause performance to drop.

The number of parallel processors requested can be verified at the top of the summary file <study>.rpt. For four-way parallel processing, the <study>.rpt file looks like this:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back