Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Master Model Techinique Tutorials

Mech_Engineer

It been a while since I used master model technique for plastic molded parts, so I need a tutorial refresher. Are there any tutorials or instructions that are recommended? I recall that the a part file is inserted in an assembly. The master part is created using surfaces and drives the later to be created solid part by assembly references. The surface is then converted (thickened) to a solid. The parts are then separated into bodies and details added.

TIA

Mech_Engineer,

There are several ways to do this (including the method you describe). If you choose your method you will have both assembly and part references to your master (In my experience SW is not always cooperable with external references - particularly partlines). You should also remember to set your mass to zero and set it to be hidden in BOMs.

There is a canned tutorial included with SW. Click the SolidWorks Resources tab and then "All SolidWorks Tutorials (Set 2). " The one you want to review is named Molded Product Design - Advanced. This method creates the master and then uses the Split part command to divide the master into component parts which are then saved to part files.

For more complicated assemblies with multiple contoured partlines, I usually model the master, create a new part and then use Insert Part to place the master in my part model. This way (compared to the method you describe) eliminates assembly references so the only reference you have is between your master and your part. If you are dividing your master into multiple partsthen do a Save As/Copy part at this point for each component.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back