Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

mass props calculate for volume

design-engine

Pro/PROGRAM question here….
Trying to calculate from mass props the volume to display on a drawing.

I dug this up from version 20 notes somewhere but don’t have
the part to look at the parameters or relations. I stick this between the RELATIONS section of
the Pro/PROGRAM edit window. can seam to get the thing to work.

MASS_LB=MP_MASS("")
VOLUME_IN3=MP_VOLUME("")
VOLUME_OZ=MP_VOLUME_IN3*128/231

I stick all this in between RELATIONS and END RELATIONS

then add the part name in between

MASPROP
<partneame>
END MASPROP

A little rusty at Pro/PROGRAM but are the first two variables are the ones I call out? When you do a mass props under analysis the call outs are with out the MP_ and just VOLUME. Thats confusing. VOLUME_OZ what I am trying to solve... therefore that is what I want to display on my drawing.

VOLUME_OZ is what I am trying to solve thus what I want to
display on the drawing using &VOLUME_OZ

What do I set in the parameters or relations If anything.

What are the quotes referencing?

What need to be called out as a parameter?

Relations?

Edited by: design-engine

You need to write everything in relations,

MASS_LB=MP_MASS("")
VOLUME_IN3=MP_VOLUME("")
VOLUME_OZ=VOLUME_IN3*128/231

and the third relation without mp, just the parameter name. Then in drawing show &volume_oz

PS: If you only want to show the volume for one part in a assy drawing then I suggest you write all these relations in that part and write in drawing &volume_oz:partid (and replace part_id with the actual part id).

For all this you need to have the density set up corectly in every part to have a real value for volume.

All of the above is ProE 2001, parameter names were changed in WF2. It's probably only a question of RTFM - if you can find the right item ...

Alex

nothing is done then using Pro/PROGRAM? or all in relations? Or all inside the relations of Pro/PROGRAM. I had a long day on the race track (track day) and my brain is still in turn three.

RTFM: Remove The F*ck*ng letter M Thats funny ... I hope I deciphered that one correctly.

would it be too much to ask for someone to upload a 10mm cube with the volume solved so I can extract from example? Make Density '1' and Ill plug in my own numbers for density.

I get an error when I blindly dump the MASS_LB=PM_MASS("") errorMass properties for this model are not calculated yet.

Then I tried to save off an analysis feature or saved w/ various names like PM_MASS

I don't understand what's with the third relation, I thought you need that for something, that's why I said to remove mp from that one.

If you only need the volume write in part relation , assy relations volume_in3=mp_volume(""), not in pro-program. Then in drawing show &volume_in3. The value will be in mm, cm, inch depending on what are the units set for the model.

this is the volume calculate by pro-e:

View attachment 3558

And this is the volume calculated with the relation, so it's confirmed:

View attachment 3559

View attachment 3560

For mass the same as volume, there is no need for a analysis feature, you only make a analysis just to see if the volume and mass are confirmed.

Write in part or assy relations mass_lb=mp_mass("")

View attachment 3561

The relations gives me an error when adding it.... that the ... "Mass properties for this model are not calculated yet." So what does that mean? Run the mass properties.... save the analysis?

no it's just a regenerate thing. do a edit / regenerate.

View attachment 3562

That is just a supposed "error", if you add a newparameter or add a new relation that "error" apear. But you're fine, I guess PRO-E is just warning you in case that new parameter or relation has an influence on the mass or volume calculations.

To be absolutely sure:before you save the partdo a edit/regenerate then save the part.
Edited by: vlad1979

Try to set a config.pro option mass_property_calculate to automatic. This should do it.

A lot of settings just for a damn relation to work.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: vlad1979

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back