Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

MapKeys with User Input

Bob_W

Ok, maybe I should calm down, but trying to create mapkeys to stop for the user to enter data has got to be one of the most convoluted things PTC could have ever created! Well maybe it is included on the long list of other items. I think I know what assignments the PTC computer programming summer students get!

I am using WF-4 and have searched every place I can think of (PTC Knowledge base, this forum, WF help, and other forums) and can not get any method to work.

What I am trying to do is create a simple macro to add specific parameters to a model with a pause to allow the user to type in the value. It should place the cursor IN THE INPUT CELL so the user (me) can enter the value without using the mouse to select the appropriate box, type the value and then hit enter to continue without have to click OK to close the parameters dialog window.

The two parameters would be Part_Description and Part_Material. The macro should enter the first parameter name, select 'string' type, move to the value field and stop, pausing for the user to type a Description followed by Enter (without using the mouse), then the macro would create the second parameter and get the user input and then close the dialog box.

Since I have about 170 parts to do I would also have it save and close the part window and then perform a 'file open' function.

So far the best I can get is to have it pause, then use the mouse to click in the proper cell, type the name, click on resume, etc.

Others have mentioned the same problem so I am not sure it is possible. What about nested mapkeys? I tried for over an hour today and finally had to give up
smiley11.gif

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bob

Bob_W said:
What I am trying to do is create a simple macro to add specific parameters to a model with a pause to allow the user to type in the value. It should place the cursor IN THE INPUT CELL so the user (me) can enter the value without using the mouse to select the appropriate box, type the value and then hit enter to continue without have to click OK to close the parameters dialog window.

What you're asking for is to be able to create a well thought out and easy to use UI on your own for creating these two parameters using mapkeys. It just ain't gonna happen, not to the level of ease that you want. Heck, PTC can't even get that level of ease in it's own UI, do you think they will have thought through far enough to let you create your own?

You're going to have to do some clicking in input boxes and clicking on the resume button.

If your parameters are all in the same assy, have you looked at adding a column in the model tree to allow you to enter them in the model tree like you would in a spreadsheet? If the parameter doesn't exist, Pro/E will prompt you to add it. Might be easier than the mapkey, but be aware, there are some oddities to the input method there as well.

Frankly might be worth creating an assy will these parts in it just to be able to enter them that way.

Doug:

You are right about trying to create my own easy UI for this problem. I think I will try to do this in the assembly using the model tree as you suggested. I found a another thread mentioning the same thing so I hope to give it try shortly.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back