Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

making cables recognize geometry and part

abeera

i need to route cables on a system that rotates. ive figured out a way to ensure that the cable length i keep is adequate for all rotated positions but when the cable loops it passes through parts like in pro mechanism. the model looks very unattractive!

is there a way i can make cables recognize solid geometry so that they dont pass through it??any help is appreciated.Thanks!

abeera said:
is there a way i can make cables recognize solid geometry so that they dont pass through it??any help is appreciated.Thanks!

Well, to flex something and keep it from passing through other objects would take a non-linear FEA contact simulation... yes? Maybe you can get close enough with more detailed routing points that move in the way you expect the cable to.How abouta part that cams against the potentially interfering surface and then route the cable through that part?

On the other hand, having cables unconstrained and freely rubbing against other parts of a mechanism is generally frowned upon.

In your cabling assembly or skeleton create datum curves that will follow the motion. Best practice is to base upon datum features. In cable create a network placing free points on the datum curve. Have cables use the network for routing. Watch out for min bend violations.

jef

It will take some practice and light surfacing skills but you can create a smart part (I suggest using Skeleton parts) Use the Skeleton Part to create a flexible extruded surface. Be sure to use your parent child relations with respect to your rotation. Use that surface to route your Network Opps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back