Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Machining STL files with WF5?

mebill

Hi All

Can anybody give me some basic pointers on how to move forward with machining a STL file using WF5. I am reasonable competent with machining in gerenal using ProE but the tool does not 'see' the STL file and machines straight through it. The sales pitch indicates it is not a problem to do this but I am at a loss for the moment. I tried to crteate a mill volume and 'cut out' the STL but again ProE did not want to recognise the STL file.

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Bill

I have done this by importing the STL to a part file before adding the (part) model as a ref model. Hope this helps.

Everytime I try stl file in 4.0 still sees the who part as one surface and impossoble to work with. I don't think make a .prt file will help but will try again

Regards;

Chris

You could try solidifying the stl first, but I suspect you tried this/it won't work. Any chance you could get a .stp or .igs?

Without reviewingthe database it is hard to tell where the problem may be. Are you using a mill window to define where the geometry is?

gents,

depending on the quality of the stl file there are only 3 stategies you can use.
Basically an stl file is not a volume model. So you can not refer to things like depth upto or surface or volume.
The only stategies you can use are roughing, re-roughing and finisheing.
Those functions will be able to machine on an stl file.
The machine area will be based on a reference window.

If you still have problem it would be a lot better to convert the stl (teselated surfaces) into a surface model. Either by a reverse engineering software (rapidform) or by the REX module from PTC itself.

J.

Hi All

The solution was to use the Rough, Re-Rough and Finishing sequences. I had not had the need to venture into these areas in the past. But with STL this seem the way to go.
Many thanks

Bill

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back