Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

List all parts used in drawing file

wintersm

Anyone have a good approach to identifying all parts used "displayed" in a drawing file? I'm working tooling hardware for my company, and it seems the rules are a bit looser than deliverable hardware. We have several parts & assemblies all under one drawing number. We use PDM to indirectly capture the BOM. I'd like to see ALL PARTS used in the drawing to confirm I've listed them in the BOM.

I understand it s sad there is no direct link between the two utilities, and I believe the company is working on this, but in the mean time, does anyone have any ideas?

I typically build text in Excel to list all the parts and their descriptions using the following:

1: &PART_NUMBER:1 - &DESCRIPTION:1
2: &PART_NUMBER:2 - &DESCRIPTION:2
200: &PART_NUMBER:200 - &DESCRIPTION:200

*where part_number and descriptions are pre-defined parameters

I copy this list into a note, then save the note to get the data out of Pro/E.

The problem is, this list contains parts that I do not believe are displayed in any views. I'm guessing they have all been ADDED or are used on a part/assembly that has been ADDED.

Thanks,

-Mike

This is not a good way of making drawings all in one super drawing. But everyone has their standards, procedures.....

First if you have several parts and assys that are detailed in this super drawing and you think there are some more parts and assys just added to the drawing but they are not shown in any views then you can delete them from the drawing, right click on an open space in your drawing / properties / drawing models /del model and selecta model in the list.

If the model is not used in any views it will be deleted, you will receive a warning if you want to delete it select yes.

If the model is used in some views you will get a warning like "Cannot delete model with views using it." and the model will not be deleted.

Repeat this step for every model in the list, just click del model and a name from the list and so on.

This way you will get rid off all the models that are not used in any views. Then you can copy your text into a table and I think you will get an accurate result.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back