Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Is Proe "old-timer"?

This debate will eventually end up with the only good comment possible ::

Pro-e, Solidworks, Alias, etc etc etc are all just drawing tools...a futuristic pencil & rubber! If it doesnt do what you want it to do, then use another one !

or try to learn how the tool will give you the required results.
smiley2.gif

I've been fortunate enough to work with some old timers that,
during their careers, actually 'lofted' in lofts. They're
gone. I miss them. It's all a matter of perspective, Ledo.
I don't know what things look like from where you are but
that you'd ask the question gives me an idea. ;^)

- - - - -

BTW, some interesting reading for the so inclined;
http://www.cadhistory.net
There's a link on the index page
( http://www.cadhistory.net/chapters/EDR_Whole_Book.zip )
for the whole book.
Edited by: jeff4136

Just let me get my glasses so that I can read the screen properly.....now where did I leave them??????
smiley11.gif

Kev

PS Old timer software now has to be something like CADKEY or maybe even AutoCad or maybe Word

If you mean is it old and therefore carries some baggage from it's earlier years (hey, I resemble that remark), well, yes.

If you mean it's passe or obsolete or fading into the sunset of retirement, well, absolutely not.

jeff4136 said:
BTW, some interesting reading for the so inclined;

The Engineering Design Revolution is fascinating stuff. I need to find more time to read it unfortunately its not the easiest thing reading a book on amonitor.Imagine working on those graphics systems in the 60's &70's. I wonder if those peoplereally knew what they had on their hands, ordoes looking backmake it seem more impactful. I wonder who's working on the next big thing - we'll probably not knowuntil itsfully developed.

Ok to be more direct.

If i model in SW and do the same in Proe doesn't Proe wants me to know and do much more?

Damn stuff like some sh*t files where the settings are in and evan configuring to print correctly. What is up with that? We have just some stinking basic control with pens? And putting values in text format like we did in 80's? Not be able to do that with one or to click and localize it and make it work with your standards in one or to clicks?

Why is model geometry in Proe not working with sketcher geometry. Why can i in SW make a line and offset it in one sketch but in Proe i must uste 2 sketches?

Why is proe so damn RIGID? It doesn't want to do anything it self. If u have a big company how would u expect a lot of people to work on it without being nervous?

Employees come and go these day very quickly. When they come you can't expect them to fool around with modeler rather then they model?

Why the heck PTC wants PROE to be pain in the ass? Why don't they change their minds and make it more easy to use?

Why must a beginner be raped with so many settings? Why must you work on it 1 or 2 years to be able to set up the drawing views and lines correctly? And evan then you can't do anything. You are bounded with proe rigidness.

Why can a beginner take SW and model something and output it to a printer in a matter of days? Beacosue modeler is working FOR HIM not that he is working FOR THE MODELER?

I for one will be very ticked off if they mess with the text based config files. Sure, give us a better UI for managing them within Pro|E, but don't make it un-editable in Notepad.

Even worse, don't mess with the way I can fine tune my config setting by user, company and client. I'm trying to figure out how to manage configurations for my SW users. The answer - you can't. No means of maintaining any sort of company wide configurations. In fact, there's no manual at all on configuring the software. If I want to manage certain things across my user base (like start parts, tolerance settings, etc) best I can do is set it at installation or apply a reg file at user login. Yuck.

I had a heck of a time getting printing to work with SW the last time I used it. Painful. And I've run into a bunch of annoyances in the UI and feature set as well, just like Pro|E.

I certainly won't disagree that Pro|E could uses some UI improvements, but SW is no holy grail either. Give Pro|E some time and look into the areas that frustrate you. Some are just bad, but you'll find that others are designed that way for a reason.

The only thing keeping Proe above the water is its price. That is my personal opinion. But in the long term that just won't cut it.

ledo said:
The only thing keeping Proe above the water is its price. That is my personal opinion. But in the long term that just won't cut it.

Have you looked at the price recently? Our Pro|E maintenance is about 2.6 x our SW maintenance, I'm assuming that the purchase price has a similar differential.

dgs said:
ledo said:

Have you looked at the price recently? Our Pro|E maintenance is about 2.6 x our SW maintenance, I'm assuming that the purchase price has a similar differential.

These is BS. If u are paying 2.6 times more on Proe than SW for each seat you should ask your self why are u doing that? SW basic is more expensive then Proe basic in our country.

About 1.5 factor. If the ratio would be 2.6 in favor of SW belive me Proe wouldn't exist here any more.
Edited by: ledo

Ah, didn't notice the country. Here, I believe the basic package is similarly priced, but once you add on modules, the Pro|E price ramps up faster.

For us, it's not a matter of choice. We have clients that use both, we need to use what the client uses.

dgs said:
For us, it's not a matter of choice. We have clients that use both, we need to use what the client uses.

Yes this is it what saves proe in our country. Beacose its cheaper a lot of people use it. Small buisnises. A lot on basic package. And if u have a lot of users on one package it almost beacomes a "standard".

And firms that are "american" owned force to use proe. It's not really a choice.And a lot of people don't know working in modelers well. They do just wery basic things. And they buy the cheapest and most used one. It was the first in our academic systems. So it still has a great impact on people.

But to be honest more and more "indipendent" people like SW for example much more. Its just to hard for a lot of people to overcome basic things in proe.
Edited by: ledo

With ProE, you control the software, it doesnt control you. Because of this level of control it may seem to make simple tasks difficult on a standard install. However, I would like to have ultimate control over my design, and sacrifice "user friendliness" rather than letting the software give me what it thinks it should be.

I'm having trouble following, Ledo.

Pro/E is cheaper. It was first (and taught most?) in academic systems.
You can't find (or won't pay for?) help that knows how to use Pro/E.
You use Pro/E, in part, because it is dictated by customers and you
can't figure out how to configure Pro/E to conform to their standards.
And you can't offset a Sketcher entity.

Have I got all that right?
smiley36.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back