Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink login issues

2boys

Hello all,
I work for very small family owned company. We have 5 licenses.
We are using Intralink 3.3 M020 with Wildfire. We have installed the patches from the dll issue. Everything has been working smoothly for years. Since last month we have been having periodic issues with "Failure to refresh or retake license". I thought it was because of the vault size so I purged all old versions. Saved a ton of space. When it works it is very fast. However, we are still having the "Failure to refresh or retake license". The only way to move forward from this is for the user to reboot their computers. Has anyone experienced this same issue or know of a resolution?

Thanks

It sound like it is a license problem. Have youi check Flex net licenses. just type ptcstatus in a command windows. Her you can see who is using what licenses. Perhaps some licenses have not been released.
In Flexnet it is also possible the time needed before a license is released when not in use. Out of the bos it is 7200 sec (2 hours) this can be changed to 1200 sec (20 minunes) This have saved us a lot of money.

Thanks jnoval,
Unfortunately this isn't the issue. We have 5 licenses, however only 3 to 4 users.. At times only one user is in the system. I have checked the status and everything looks normal.
I have even done a ptcflush of the licenses. Not sure what to try next?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps a network/firewall problem.

Do you have licenses server on same server as Intralink. This is what I have without any problem.

I have no clue what could be the problem.

I agree with jnoval, this is a license problem. A network type of issue. I have no idea what type of network issue, but messing with vaults and tables on your dataserver probably will not correct the issue.

Hi Don Chunoir,

The error simply states: "Failed to refresh or retake license."

It doesn't happen all the time. The user could use Pro-I all day and then on that 50th time get the error.

I am thinking it might be something on the workstations.

Thanks for you help!

There is a new development to this issue: We are now getting another error when we check out parts, It looks like it has to do with the port number.

After this error, the user has to exit Pro-Intralink. When they try to log back in, the "failed to refresh or retake license" error is back. Finally, a reboot fixes the issue for a bit of time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi 2boys!

I hope you had a nice weekend.

I found a thread in a German forum, where I'm usually posting, but the description was copied from PTC and is in English:

http://ww3.cad.de/foren/ubb/Forum69/HTML/000545.shtml#000002

The problem described there seems to be similar to yours.

In the last post there's a link to download a patch from PTC - I attached the ZIP file for you, but I give no guarantee that it's the right one.

2009-06-02_011307_3.3_TAN128997.zip

Regards, Domenic

Thank you DonChunior,

We implemented the patch way back when it first happened in 2005. Worked great for 4 years.

Very frustrating. Our company is very small so upgrading isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thank you for helping.

DonChunior,
Tried your suggestion and it made no difference. Works ok to check out items for 2 tries and on the 3rd try, hangs up ending in the above error.

Thanks
smiley7.gif

Hi!

I found this article in the Windchill knowledge base - TPI 107366:

<table ="boundedTop indent20 alignTop"><t><tr><th>Title</th>
<td>Error Message "Cannot connect to the specified nfs server.<wbr> Ensure that the file server is running, .<wbr>.<wbr>.<wbr> Pro/<wbr>INTRALINK message 408" is returned when Login from a Remote Pro/<wbr>INTRALINK Client Machine.<wbr> Login from the Client on the Server Machine is Fine.<wbr></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th>Details</th>
<td>

<div style="padding: 10px;">

Description

-----------------

When trying to login from a remote Pro/INTRALINK client machine, the
error message "Cannot connect to the specified nfs server. Ensure that
the file server is running, ... Pro/INTRALINK message 408" is returned.
But the Pro/INTRALINK client on the server machine is able to login
successfully.

Alternate Technique

-----------------

See Resolution below.

Resolution

-----------------

The client must be able to ping the fileserver by the fileserver
hostname as entered during the dataserver installation. This can be
checked in the "Storage" of #Pro/ADMIN or from DSMU in the registered
fileserver list. After the client connects to the dataserver, it knows
the fileserver hostname and then tries to connect to it as well.

This can be achieved by ensuring that the hostname resolution process
on the client has access to a hosts file, NIS and/or DNS servers which
recognize this naming convention.

Ideally, hostname resolution consistency throughout the network is the
key. Realistically this may not be the case. So it has to be ensured
that all of the clients, regardless of the lan/wan/subnet/domain, must
be able to resolve the data server hostname and fileserver hostname(s)
as entered during the client and dataserver installations respectively.

For the Pro/INTRALINK client, the hostname of the dataserver can be
checked/edited in the "<Pro/INTRALINK client
loadpoint>\tnsnames.ora" file or by running ptcsetup to reconfigure
the Pro/INTRALINK client.

Also the servers (data & file) must be able to ping the client so the same hostname resolution rule applies to them.</div></td></tr></t></table>Sorry, that's all I found. I wish you good luck!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back