Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink 3.4 and Wildfire 2.0

chrisfonzo

Hello All,

My company is planning on making the jump to WF 2.0 soon, andin order to use buildM020 or later you must upgrade to Intralink 3.4.

Does anyone have any comments on Intralink 3.4? Our other option is to use our current version of Intralink (3.3 build M020) with WF 2.0 build M010.

Any advice from users who have used WF 2.0 and or Intralink 3.4?

Thanks in advance....

<DIV>I've been using WF 2.0 and Intralink 3.4 for about a month now. It works great. We upgraded from Intralink 3.2 without any problems.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Hello Jason,

We want to upgrade too to WF 2.0 and Intralink 3.4. Is there a special procedure to install the softwares? Intralink before ProE? Fileserver before dataserver?

What's your configuration? I read that Intralink 3.4 needs a lot of RAM. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I'm a newbie in Intralink and also face many question asBP raised here...Is Oracle database precondition to install Intralink? I'm using Pro/E wildfire... so, Intralink 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, which most suitable? Does PTC offer educational version of Intralink?

Thanks

Hello

Between Intralink 3.3. and 3.4 there is no big visible difference. The only one, most importat is such that you will have a separate Oracle database not included on one CD with Intralink. I mean you will receive 4 CDs with additional Oracle database. All components are installed as it was in 3.3 release.

As far as WF 2.0 is concerned it works perfectly with 3.3 and 3.4 as far as I know.

Best wishes

Rafal

Edited by: rafalall

Hi friends!

I read the Installation guilde (pdf) and be said that we must install Oracle 9.0.1.0 with Software Installation Assistant for Bundled Pro/Intralink 3.4 F000, and then upgrade to 9.0.4.0Thissoftwarenot included in Intralink CD. I wonder what happenifIinstall in conventional way or if Database already existed on my system and I don't have Oracle patch?

Thanx

<DIV>Not to put you off or anything, but if you're seriously considering upgrading Intralink, and you don't have much experience with installing/upgrading Intralink, then I would contact PTC technical support and ask them for guidance. Depending on if you are moving Intralink to a new server or ifyou're upgrading on the same server, there are several documents that you should be aware of and PTC can point them out to you. I called them during our upgrade and they were very helpful. You might consider doing a mockupgrade on another computer just to be sure you got the procedures down correctly.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To answer your question about RAM, the PTC recommended amount of RAM for a large database installation on a Windows server is 4GB. We are doing just fine with room to spare on 2GB. I asked atech support guy about it before hand and he confirmed that many companies are using 2GB on large db installations. But it could also depend on just how "large" your database is. I would contact them about your specific needs.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Wildfire 2.0 with Intralink 3.3 M022is a good option.3.4 F001 is another, but 3.4 M010 is coming out in a couple weeksand I would recommend waiting since the "F" in F001 stands for "First" build.

FYI - We ran across another bug in 3.4 today that deals with conflcts between the Toolkit environment running on the dataserver in certain configuration scenarios. There is no documentation regarding this yet nor is therea TAN. We have logged a call, but no follow up yet other than tech support saying they've been hearing about this in the field.

Mark,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Did you guys do much in regards to performance testing or was Oracle too

I recently implemented Intralink 3.3 build m022 with Wildfire 2.0 build M080 and the two work together just fine.

I have heard that you have to verify all familitable if you are ysing WF2 with Inlink 3.3, and that ther is problems withfamilytables, that have "2 steps of familitables" (Genrics as instance). Is that true?

Hi jnoval,

Yes you have to verify any family table prior to checkin with Ilink 3.3 & WF2. But that is in my opinion a good thing. I created a mapkey that verifies and saves any family table and put it in our master config.pro. As far as "nested" family tables even Intralink 3.2 didn't like those.

bporter

I have an issue with the verify. We were on 3.2 and then migrated, and
now this verify is a pain in the ass. The issue being that you can't
save verify status if any objects within an assembly are locked or
read-only. Unless you start at the lowest denominator, you can't mass
verify since marking objects modified may not be acceptable.

Jason Turk said:
<div></div>
<div>To answer your question about RAM, the PTC recommended amount of
RAM for a large database installation on a Windows server is 4GB.
We are doing just fine with room to spare on 2GB. I asked
atech support guy about it before hand and he confirmed that many
companies are using 2GB on large db installations. But it could
also depend on just how "large" your database is. I would contact
them about your specific needs.</div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

This was the big difference for 3.4. Version 3.4 is the migration step
to prepare people for the PDMLink migration. Intralink will be sharing
the same core as PDMLink with the next release and as such it is built
on Oracle 9. Also, the RAM requirement was a bit higher, I've heard
quotes of 50% more is required. 3.4 adds Windows Server 2003 support.

Again, if you're on 3.2 already and don't want to go through a headache of a database space upgrade, stick with 3.3.

After have reading all users write here, I think we will stay in 3.3 with Intralink and install W2.0.

Just one question : what're the essential differences between 3.3 and 3.4? I mean in the use of Intralink (not in installation nor in management). Arebugs corrected?

Bp

As of today, when you compare 3.3 M022 with 3.4 F001 the update advisor lists 19 TANs that are resolved and 4 new ones that have been opened...4 other TANs remain open as well.

I believe the user interface and actions...etc remain pretty much identical.

Regards, Rick

PS - I agree with staying on 3.3 unless you KNOW the performance is better or that you need support for Server 2003.
Edited by: rpassolt

no real "new" functionality. primarily to prepare for v4.. which I
think they're calling v9 or something??? can't recall.... however I'd
personally stick with v3.3 and that way you can migrate once when the
new version arrives.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back