Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

installation multiple pc question

saspinall

Hi, got a question regarding the setting for each pc on a multi-user site. At the moment our IT dept has installed wildfire 2 onto each of our pc's (6 in all). Now if I log onto someone elses machine, I cannot access WF2, it comes up with a message for the read/write access for the pro-e trail file dir. Our IT dept says that I have to be installed as an administrator for THAT machine in order to run. I don't think so, I think it's to do with the access writes for that particular folder. Am I right ?? Anyone know of a site which explains how to install pro-e and configure for multiple users ie 10 users, 6 machines all to use each machine, whenever free.

Stu

We do never install any ProE or Intralink software on the client. All is install on a file server. All I have to do if I want to instal a new client is to copy a shortcut. Very easy to maintanance and to fix errors.

All users can use any cad-station in the company.

I guess that you problem is the trail folder. It is possible to possible to chang where ProE is placing the trail files. If I remember correct then the default is in .../documents and settings/... Try to chang it to c:\ptc\temp\trail. You can do it in config.pro: trail_dir c:\ptc\temp\trail.

We delete the trail folder every times a user start Intralink.

<tt>Description

-----------------

After installing Pro/ENGINEER 2001 when logged on as Administrator,
Pro/ENGINEER will execute when logged on as Administrator, but not when
logged on as User. During the installation, "Modify System Path for All
Users" was selected and the Pro/ENGINEER 2001 load point is listed
under the "All Users" folder. The error message in the std.out file is:

ERROR: Cannot create trail file. Check disk space and/or write permission.

Alternate Technique

-----------------

Resolution

-----------------

The reason this error occurs is that when Pro/ENGINEER 2001 executes, a trail.txt file is written to the Start In Folder.

If the user does not have write permissions to the Start In Folder, the
trail.txt file cannot be written and Pro/ENGINEER 2001 will not execute.

This error can be resolved in any of the following ways.

1. Change the users Start In Folder to a location where the User has write permissions.

2. Change the permissions on the current Startin Folder so that the User has write permissions.

3. Set the value of the TRAIL_DIR entry in the config.pro file, to a location where the User has write permisssions.</tt>

crichard said:
jnoval - how's the pro performance working over the network like that?
We do the same thing as jnoval, it works great. Depending on your network and other hardware, Pro/E may be a little slower to start up but after that the whole program is in RAM so it runs the same. Very simple to administer.

dr_gallup said:
crichard said:
jnoval - how's the pro performance
working over the network like that?
We do the same thing as
jnoval, it works great. Depending on your network and other hardware,
Pro/E may be a little slower to start up but after that the whole
program is in RAM so it runs the same. Very simple to
administer.

Downside is that it is only good for vanilla installs. Therefore if you
have software plugins like Ansys and such it becomes a pain in the ass
and you have to either install workstation copies or mulitple copies on
the server.

I don't which way I like better. When I had it local install, I simply
pushed new revisions to the workstations by copying the default install
from the server.

Just as dr_gallup wrote. We use 100 Mbit LAN, but it can work on 10Mbits with a slower startup.

It is easy to test. Just do a installation as normat but select a network drive for the installation. Now you can test startup time, and if you can see any change in performance after the startup. I know many companies who use it this way, without any problems.

We use the same method as provan - basically copy the Pro folder across the network, set the path in env var's, and you're good to go...

If I remember right at my old company (and version 16 or so of pro) we use to launch from a single point on the server... seemed to work ok..

provan said:
[
Downside is that it is only good for vanilla installs. Therefore if you have software plugins like Ansys and such it becomes a pain in the ass and you have to either install workstation copies or mulitple copies on the server.

Actually... We have a single Pro/E install on our server that has 14 plugins (Aux Apps) including:
<UL>
<LI>Ansys Workbench 8.0 ,8.1&9.0</LI>
<LI>CFDesign 6.0 & 7.0</LI>
<LI>ProductView translator</LI>
<LI>VisView translator</LI>
<LI>several home-grown apps</LI>[/list]

The trick is settingmost of these to be 'off' upon Pro/E start-up. Then any user can fire-up any given plugin at any time by going into the aux-apps menu. These are the two options you can specify in your protk.dat to register (but not launch) an app at Pro/E startup time:
<UL>
<LI>allow_stoptrue (allows you to turn the plugin off without closing Pro/E)</LI>
<LI>delay_starttrue (allows you to launch a plugin only when you need it)</LI>[/list]

-Brian

Brian_Adkins said:
Actually... We have a single Pro/E install on our server that has 14 plugins (Aux Apps) including:
<ul>
[*]Ansys Workbench 8.0 ,8.1&9.0[/list]

The trick is settingmost of these to be 'off' upon Pro/E
start-up. Then any user can fire-up any given plugin at any time
by going into the aux-apps menu. These are the two options you
can specify in your protk.dat to register (but not launch) an app at
Pro/E startup time:
<ul>
[*]allow_stoptrue (allows you to turn the plugin off without closing Pro/E)
[*]delay_starttrue (allows you to launch a plugin only when you need it)[/list]

-Brian

Thanks, I will add this now! protkdat stuff isn't that well documented when I searched PTC's KB.

I am doing a presentation on Automated Pro/Engineer Installations at the end of this month. Feb 2005. I install Pro/E on a network drive one time. I then created a custom Batch Script that copies the installation over to all the PC's. The script also un-installs any current installation regardless of what drive it's installed in. It creates the user start in folders if they don't exist. It copies the basic new user config.pro, config.win, color.map files over from the network. It creates a universal shortcut that operates with all users and places it in a pull out menu.

Basically. I get all the benefits of a server side install but my Pro/E installations are all local. It takes 10 minutes for the installation and I have a link on our Intranet that the users push to install the new version. There are no prompts for the user to worry about. I simply mention on the home page of our Intranet that a new version of Pro/E is available. They click on the software tab and click on the Wildfire 2.0 image. Pro/E installs automatically. They can get a coffee and by the time there back it's finished.

If anyone is interested in the details, let me know. I will be posting the presentation on my personal site soon.

The reason I don't use server install follows:

1. Initial boot up of Pro/E is slower

2. Must upgrade when users are not on (late nights or weekends)

3. If the server goes down, all users will be locked out of using Pro/E.

With my Automated Installation Routine. Everyone get's a local install. Our server went down for 3 days last week and all my users where able to continue using Pro/E and save their projects locally until the problem was resolved. My license server is a completely different machine that is not used for anything. It been running for over 5 years with no failures.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. I will re-post when I get the presentation on my site.

Sounds good.

I've done it both ways and I've not decided which to do.

Because I test builds locally on my laptop, the server isn't disturbed
when I push the update due to when I start and when everyone else
starts.

Well my thread certainly caused some good discussion. Thanks to all. Proximo, I look forward to your presentation amd how to do this type of install would be great to know, especially for updates.

Stu

Quick Update,

I am finishing the Powerpoint for this presentation right now. I will have that available along with the scripts and some video. I have to go out of town this weekend and won't be back until Monday.

I plan on having my site up and running by the end of the coming week. I will update you guys when I do. My site is working right now but it's basically useless because I don't have any links that work and the entire look of the site will be different. This is just a place holder page and to be honest. I don't even like the place holder. I should have just put a big "Under Construction" sign on the site.

lol

Here is the link but don't laugh at the site. This is NOT what it will look like at all.

http://www.proximostudios.com

Edited by: proximo

Good inputs, people! Makes interesting reading.

This thread touches on a couple of presentations @ PTC/USER 2004 - me & another guy (J Beaulne) spoke about CAD Admin, pushing & pulling installations to many users...

I think you can still get some of the material from the PTC/USER site:

http://www.ptcuser.org/2004/downloads.html

Ed

Hey BigJoe,

My site went down due to a hardware failure from my DSL Provider. They fixed the problem but now my Router won't work. I am in the process of getting real hosting this month and will have my site up and runing again.

Sorry about that. If you like, I can email you the powerpoint with my batch scripts. I am still going to do an audio recording for people to follow along with but this won't be finished until my new site is up with the new hosting company.

Let me know if you want me to email you.

Again, I want to say I am sorry.

Proximo, sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your internet hardware. I've been there and it's no fun at all.

If you don't mind emailing me your powerpoint and batch scripts I would
be quite grateful. I'll send you my email address via PM.

Proximo, I visited your site again, didn't get the 403 error, but I didn't see your Pro/E install info anywhere. Would you mind emailing it to me? joemoak (at) gmail.com. Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back