Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Instalation of Dataserver 3.4 F000

Zaki

Hi Guys

Id installed oracle 9.2.0.1 and Intralink fileserver on Win2003 server based machine. after the instalation when I ran install_ilink.bat in very last, I got following msg

View attachment 2457

can anybody help me what to do or what is the exact problem?? thanx in advance

Hi all-

Man I remember this error like it was yesterday, but to be more specific it was about 6 months ago when updating my Intralink 3.4 installation to a newer datecode.

First of all, what Intralink version is this? I know that we had severe problems with 3.2 and 3.4 when it came to the installer needing the Oracle 9.2.0.5 (which is not freely available from Oracle without an active maintanance contract with them). Initially, we did not have this patchset (we used Oracle 9.2.0.5 Patchset 4) but our company is a customer of Oracle so we could obtain this patch.

But from what it seems you got past this part OK.

What you are seeing here is a problem I run into all of the time when trying to run scripts with the Intralink tools. The login failure is a classic problem (at least with me). This is signified by the ORA-01017 error. This basically means that the Intralink script is attempting to connect to the database that was created during the installation beforehand and the password/username combo it is attempting to use is incorrect. However, you will find this error (at least I have) on many other Intralink utilities other than install_ilink.bat and must manually specify the password as one of the flags in the commang line. Therefore, the database will not allow the script to access the database to make changes. In the end it simply gives up trying (after 3 attempts).

Now I will give you the steps (as I remember them) to fix this. If this doesn't work say so cause there are other "tricks" I have found to get this puppy working.

1) Set Intralink windows environment variables via Right click My Computer -> "Advanced" tab -> "Environment Variables" button -> Click "New" under System variables -> then (if not already there) set ORACLE_SID to ilnk (unless you changed the database name in the installation, then set it to the custom databse name), PATH should INCLUDE the oracle dataserver loadpoint (<Oracle Loadpoint>/bin) which it should for you to get this far, set ORA_SYS_PWD to your selected oracle password (default is "manager" on Intralink 3.4), set FS_SYS_PWD to your selected file server password (default is "fschangeme" on Intralink 3.4), set PROI_SYS_PWD to the internal Intralink dataserver password (default is "dschangeme" on Intralink 3.4).

>> YOU MAY NEED TO RESTART OR LOGOUT AT THIS POINT TO ENSURE THAT THESE ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES ARE SET WITHIN THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

2) Try install_ilink.bat again. Ensure that you put "install_ilink ALL <Oracle database name (default in Intralink 3.4 is ilnk)> INTRALINK

so mine e.g. was

install_ilink ALL ilnk INTRALINK

3) Cross your fingers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't to put it bluntly. If it doesn't, reply so and I got a couple more ways to help....I think :)

Btw, I am also using Windows 2003 Enterprise Server R2 for my dataserver.

Hope this helps.

Edited by: acook

Hi all-

I didn't even notice the name of this thread "Installation of Dataserver 3.4 F000". I guess that answers the version problem above. It's been a long day...:).

Hi Adam

I make all changes as u mentioned but the problem is present as it is
smiley5.gif

plz guide me man what to do??

another thing is that if u have the patch set for 9.2.0.4, can u give me?? the version of intralink 3.4 F000

Hi all-

OK, that didn't work, huh?

Well I took a little time this morning to browse through the TCL script for install_ilink.bat and I found some stuff they *MAY* work. Here's what I see. Basically when you run install_ilink.bat, the batch file (install_ilink.bat) goes through an initial "parameter collection" stage. You provide some of the parameters in the command line and the rest come from a file in the datasever folder called "intralink.new". So now we are going to try another process.

1) Check and see if a file called "example_intralink.new" is in your <Dataserver load point>\intralink directory. If it is (which it really should be since it was created by the dataserver installer after you specified all your options, e.g. directory of the file server...etc.), copy that file IN THE SAME DIRECTORY to "intralink.new". Otherwise you can copy and paste the text below into Wordpad (or some other text editor) and save it as "intralink.new".

2) From what I can see, here is what the contents of "intralink.new" should look like:

#Start text file
# This file is generated by the install program
# It does not affect the Runtime environment of the Data Server.
#
LOADPOINT=C:\ptc\dataserver

DATASERVER_LIST=
(DATASERVER=
(ORACLE_SID=ilnk)
(ORACLE_VERSION=)
(DATAPOINT=C:\ptc\dataserver\intralink\dbs)
(SIZE=MEDIUM)
(LANGUAGE=English)
(SYSTEM_PASSWD=manager)
(PROI_PASSWD=dschangeme)
(FV_PASSWD=fschangeme)
(FILESERVER=
(SERVERHOST=ntengr-srvr1)
(SERVERPORT=7777)
(VAULTPATH=F:\FVAULT0)
)
)
#End text file.

3) If you already have an "example_intralink.new", most of this will be filled in with your specified parameters. The only thing you need to add is the SYSTEM_PASSWD, PROI_PASSWD, and FV_PASSWD lines. I have left the default passwords in this file, so if you made custom passwords, you may need to change the value of those lines.

4) Try install_ilink.bat again. Ensure that you put "install_ilink ALL
<Oracle database name (default in Intralink 3.4 is ilnk)>
INTRALINK

so mine e.g. was

install_ilink ALL ilnk INTRALINK

(Copied from my above post)

5) Hope it works. If not, say so, and I'll probably have to ask you more questions about the specifics of your installation.

Btw, I'm not sure if this is your first time with installing Intralink, but depending on the database size you chose during installation, the installation may take up to 30 minutes to 1 hour (large database, and also depends on your server specs). ALWAYS LET THE INSTALL_ILINK.BAT FINISH!!!! If you don't, you may break the database and have to manually remove it from the oracle system and reinstall everything. I only say this because this is what I had to do once.

Hope this helps.

thanx again bro

Yeah this is my first time to install intralink. I will apply this and tell u.

Hi man

sorry its not working, i think the patchset is a must. may it will work after patchset instalation.
smiley18.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley5.gif

This is very strange. I was sure that this last post would fix the problem. From your posted screenshot, it seems like the database was correctly setup within the Oracle system. It just looks like it cannot connect to the database to setup the Pro/Intralink specific database schemas. This would signify to me that the Oracle version that you have is NOT the problem and its (the batch file install_ilink.bat) simply utilizing the wrong passwords.

I know I got around this somehow when I had seen it.

Check your e-mail and get back to me. We will probably have to try to logon to the database manually to see if the correct passwords were configured during the installation.

Hmm

Thanks.

Hi Adam

Actually I have installed oracle 9.2.0.1, then I need a patchset 9.2.0.4, can this version of intralink (3.4) run on oracle 9.0.1.0??

Officially from PTC, the installation notes claim that you need to apply a patch to get the database up to 9.2.0.5 due to a security bug found in all lower versions of Oracle database 9.2.X.X.

However, when you run the installation, if you do not have Oracle 9.2.0.5 installed, it will halt the installation program (or at least should have halted) as it checks the current version installed.

From your screenshot, however, it seems that you already got past this "version check" stage as the database has already been successfully created (per the screenshots).

You should know that AFTER I updated my database to the 9.2.0.5 version level I STILL RECIEVED THIS ERROR (the error in your posted screenshot). I believe I used my "fix" in the first post I made to circumvent it and complete the installation.

So, I would say its probably a good idea to install the 9.2.0.5 patch if not only to have what this version of Pro/Intralink was designed for and to fix the security issue (not sure what the issue was).

But, keep in mind that this may not solve THIS problem since if you do not supply (or the batch file does not supply) the correct username/password combo, it will never be able to access the database to finish the installation.

I will continue to look for other solutions today.

Thanks.

I'm sorry. I made a couple typos in some of my posts above. The database versions you need are from the 9.2.X.X or Oracle Database 9i2 tree. I accidentally called the database 9.0.1.0 and 9.0.5.0. THESE VERSIONS WILL NOT WORK!!!

The database that you OFFICIALLY need is 9.2.0.5.

First, installed Oracle database 9.2.0.1 for Windows 32-bit, then I applied the 9.2.0.5 patchset 4 to the existing Oracle database installation.

I am going to go through and edit my previous posts to dismiss any confusion.

Edits are in red.

Thanks.

ok dear Its doesnt matter. Im downloading the patch then after instalation I will tell u what is going on. so many thanx for ur help

Hi dear

its same after installation of patch, Im so tired, no body could understand what its means, our software developer check all things but could not understand it.
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Ok-

I am going to go onto the PTC support site today and see if I can find any documents related to your problems. I will post if I find anything.

Thanks.

Please set PDM_TCL_DEBUG_LEVEL before running install_ilnk. It will give you a lot of debug info. For example,

set PDM_TCL_DEBUG_LEVEL=5

Also did you run tclsh before you run the script? tclsh helps to setup the necessary environment.

Please post the full screen shot.

Thanks,

Roamer
Edited by: sroamer

Hye Zaki-

According to some support docs on PTC's support site, it seems like this is a known error and they say "this is normal at installation, anywhere else it is not". So, I would see if you can successfully deploy your system without this script working. To do this, install the client on the SERVER on which the dataserver resides and see if you can connect with username: INTRALINK and password: INTRALINK (both all-caps). If you can, play around with it and see if it works the way you want it to. There is a quite alot of configuration to go at this point within the client.

If not I would recommend uninstalling everything except for the Oracle database server. Then, reinstall everything again WITH THE DEFAULT PASSWORDS. Also make sure there are no spaces in any of the file names (and file paths) in anything during the installation (installation directories, file vault location,...etc.). Also, Intralink will NOT work properly if the Pro/Engineer installation has any spaces in its path.

Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back