Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

inspection dimensions

dvennard

i recently just found the code "@[text@]" which allows you to put a box around only certain parts of a dimension...i use this in situations where i have a basic dimension with a note attached...using the regular basic dimension check box, it will box everything, including the note.

quesiton...is something like this available for inspection dimensions? if i have a note in the dimension, and i make it an inspection, a bubble is formed around everything. i need a way to stop the bubble at a specific point.

i know there are other shortcuts like "[@+text@#]" and "[@-text@#]" for super/sub-scripts...so does anyone else know any more of these kinds of shortcuts????

Why not use the functionality already built into Pro? You can create a "sausage" around the inspection dimensions by checking the appropriate box in the dimension properties, where you modify tolerances, text etc.

i would love to use the "sausages" for inspection dimensions...and that works like 95% of the time.

my issue is when i have a note attached to a dimension...so in the dimensions properties box (where the inspection dimension check box is located), if you go to the "dimension text" tab and insert a note under the dimension, such as a "2x" or something like that, the "sausage" will grab this extra note instead of just the dimension...i really just want the dims "sausaged", not the notes.

so like i said, i know you can fix this situation for "basic" (or the rectangle dims) using that shortcut i mentioned in the first post, so i am hoping someone knows the same shortcut for inspection dimensions.

and before someone else throws in another work around...yes, i know i can just create a note andattach it to the dimension...and this is what i usually revert to. but in some situations, such as a radius or diameter, you cannot line up these notes to stay in line at whatever angle the dim is at. so everytime i move the dimension around, i have to go back in move the note...its really just a pain and i am hoping for a true fix....

Hi!

Have you tried to use a parametric notes? something like "&DIA_HOLE x 2" where dia_hole is the dimension of hole diameter, and add all notes with the format that you require.

regards.

i have not tried that before, but i dont think that is going to be a solution.

1. if i use a parametric note, i still need to have the "sausage" around it...is that possible with regular notes? i wouldnt know how to do that without creating draft entities.

2. our drafting standard here is to put the "2x", or whatever the additional info is, underneath the dim...so even if i used a parametric note, and i was able to sausage it, i would still have the issue of the sausage covering the additional info.

i am starting to think its impossible...i dont understand why they would make an easy fix for "basic" dimensions but no easy fix for the "inspection" dims????

hi again.

I also only know that a text can be remarcar as you say "@[text@ ]", but not with the sausage. I thing you can addnotes to a inspection dimension use "edit/grup/relate to objet". I have put east type of notes so that I want to move it in the drawing freely. Perhaps this can serve to your propouse.

thanks for the help...but like i said earlier, relating a note to my inspeciton dimension only works fordimensions that are written vertical/horizontal, anything at an angle is a pain to have stuff related to it. and small change in the location of that angled dimension means you have to go back into the notes property to manually use trial and error to get the note to line up again...too much work...

Show or create your dimension with the inpsection option selected only. Insert your notes using the placement option offset, selecting the dimension to tie the note to. The note will move with the dimension.

You can change the angle of the note to match, but if the angle changes due to changes in geometry, the angle of the text will not update.

Hi

Is anybody can tell me how to create 3D Dimensioning in Pro/E

I have isometricview and i have to show dimensions on that,

Thanks

djain

Bangalore
Edited by: djain

Hey djain, please start this topic as new in drawing. Before that do search in this forum about your requirement, perhaps you will get it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back