Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Inserting Excel sheets into a drawing

peterjfrancis

Hi All,
I have a problem with inserting Excel spreadsheets into Pro/E.
We are using WF3 and create our BoM's in Excel which we then insert into the drawing via Insert Object. This works great !
However we then have to output the drawing as an eDrawings for our production dept to use. eDrawings doesn't output the BoM , this is a known bug in eDrawings and they say they are going to fix it in the next revision ....but I'm still waiting ...and waiting.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the BoM info from Excel into Pro/E in a form that eDrawings can handle ?

I know someone will say create the BoM using Pro/E and I'm will to do that if there is an easy way of creating it ,but as our parts register (the source of the BoM info) is an Excel spreadsheet I'd like some way of cutting and pasting the data in.

All suggestions gratefully recieved

Peter

I do not fully understand your internal working. I would do it this way...

I use WF2.

Create the BOM in Proe. Export the BOM created in Pro/E as a csv file (Save table as...). Import it in excel and into your parts register...

I hope this helps. By the way to have a BOM in excel is ok for a project but if you are going to have a large project or projects having common parts, with revision control, I would use a Database or any such tools...

Trust this helps...

SRINIVASANIYER1 said:
Create the BOM in Proe. Export the BOM created in Pro/E as a csv file (Save table as...). Import it in excel and into your parts register...

Thanks for your reply
However I create the BoM from the Parts Register , so it starts as an Excel sheet which I need to put into Pro/E.
I then have to produce an eDrawing for our production dept and this is where I have the problem with eDrawings not handling Excel sheets embedded in Pro/E drawings.

Hy Peter

why dont u make a table file once and save it. every time u make a bom in proe, just export it and call in excell. then add it to ur part register.

Peter,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sounds like you are having the same problem that I am having. However I am not work with a BOM. What I have is a excel spreadsheet with test data for injectors and that needs to be added to a drawing. Inserting the table works great, until I have to create the plot. The plot does not include the table that I just inserted.

Does anyone know why this happens and how it could be fixed?

BTW, I am working with WF2

I have a very similar problem, but I don't think I can get away with these workarounds. If I add an OLE object, then I'd have to add some note on every page that says "don't forget to print using the following procedure . . .". That would never fly.

I'm new to the company, and my predecessors have all built certain tables manually. For now, I have to follow this, but I'd rather not double click on each cell and insert the text and/or formula, click OK, and repeat.

I mess around with some scripting, so If I can narrow it down to keystrokes, I can at least write a macro to steal info from excel and (through key strokes) insert it in the Pro/E table.

Any thoughts?

Hello all,
Since I posted my original question things have moved on a little!
I couldn't output excel sheets as part of a drawing and decided to bite the bullet and setup a BoM table.
After reading a few forums it seemed obvious that I could create all my parts to contain all the information as parameters and use these to populate the BoM via a repeat region.
I then had the problem of transfering the data from our Parts Register (in excel) into the Part model. After some further investigation I found a way of importing a formatted text file containing the part info into Pro/E via relations and then into the relevant parameters, I created a mapkey to do this.
I've moved our excel Parts Register into an Access database and written a VBA routine to write the details for each part to a seperate text file (2500 files takes about 45 seconds to create).

So the process now looks like this
1. Enter part details into the Parts Register (the export routine is run automatically for each new part).
2. Create new model for the Part and import the part data file via a mapkey
3. Generate the Assembly model and drawing and insert the BoM table.

This eliminates a lot of re-keying of data , the Parts Register is now the Master source of information, any changes to the part info are made in the register and a new file exported , the model is opened and the new file imported and any assembly drawings are updated purely by opening them. A further benefit of this system is that other documentation i.e. Drawing Lists can be generated from the same data.
The system is not complete yet as I am trying to get the Access database to validate the new parts as they are added and I would love to find a way of using Access to open Pro/Engineer files (does anyone know how to do this?).

I must point out I am a Mechanical Engineer and NOT a programmer so if I can do this then I'm sure others can too. I hope this helps you see what is possible.

Regards

Peter

peterjfrancis said:
The system is not complete yet as I am trying to get the Access database to validate the new parts as they are added and I would love to find a way of using Access to open Pro/Engineer files (does anyone know how to do this?).
To validate the new parts: set No-duplicates in the Field property against part number.

To open the proe files: Add an OLE field in the table and add proe file as an OLE.

BEST WAY: Buy DDM or Pro/Intralink or PDM link then you will be able to do all of the above including revision control with data linked to Proe model.

The setting for NO Duplicates assumes that you have different tables for Part number and Revision numbers with One to Many relation and that the two tables are linked with the primary key of Part number table Linked to Revision Table.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back