Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

inheritance features in machine parts

sherbert

We use inheritance features to relate casting parts to machine parts. The problem I am having is that typically our machine parts will have helical inserts installed and pins pressed in place. Now my part becomes an assembly. When detailing the assembly I am unable to manipulate the casting datums, which I need to referance for start machining dims. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you're having difficulty getting the casting dimensions to show in the drawing, Use Show/Erase, select to show Dimensions and either select by Feature or Show All to get inherited dimensions to display.

That will not work with the inheritance feature. The one thing that I found is that to be able to move the datums set in the inheritance feature the datum have to be on in the drawing where you want them to show. The problem I am now having is eraseing the datum that I do not want to show in a view. Using show/erase does not work, so what I do now is put those datums on a layer and turn the layer off, unfortunatly it tursn them of in all the views.

I too am having problems with Inherited Datums. They show and can be attached to features and dimensions, but they cannot be referenced in GDT feature control symbols on the part that inherits them.

With regards to the inherited feature base parts, I create drawings just for them that I can use to establish dimensions and tolerances.

Perhaps you could cheat the Gtols by changing the config.pro to include restricted_gtol_dialog no

Quote 'Perhaps you could cheat the Gtols by changing the config.pro to include restricted_gtol_dialog no'

At what release did this config option appear? Is it a hidden one? I am always fighting Pro/E to let me reference a part datum in an assembly drawing GDT, etc. This may be enough to push me over the edge and stop using R20!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back