Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

info\Bill of Materials customisation

james.lynch

Hi, is it possible to customise what is displayed when you use the "info\Bill of materials" option in ProE?

as in, can I include any other parameters? eg. material, vendor, possibly link an index number from a drawingetc, or is it possible to view a thumbnail (wishful thinking here I suppose) of each component in the BOM?

What other ways are there of creating HTML BOM?

Thanks for the advice,

James
Edited by: james.lynch

Do you have Intralink? That should solve most of your issues.

If you don't just create a BOM drawing. You can get most of the info, except for the thumbnail.

havent got intralink, yeah, I can do it in a drawing but kinda liked the idea generating a "friendly" HTML report style thing..

if it can't be done, it can't be done, but I know somebody here must know a way!
smiley17.gif

thanks anyway

I think this is what you are looking for:

From the help menu...

To Define the BOM Format,

1. <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Using the system editor, create the BOM output format file.
    <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Add the following option to the configuration file:</LI>
Bom_Format formatname.fmt

1. <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    In Pro/ENGINEER, add user-defined parameters to parts and assemblies using Tools > Relations > Parameters > Add Parameter.
    <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Click Info > Bill of Materials. The BOM appears in an INFORMATION WINDOW and is written to file.</LI>
I seem to remember formatting was a bit involved. Counting the number of characters in each column, and the number of spaces between the columns, etc. You could do a bunch of neat stuff in your BOM, though.
HIH...
-tsl

nice one! I'll have a play around with it..

again if anybody else has any other suggestions please post them here.

TIA,

James

Have you time to input manual parameters for the parts?

Always i have for each part from the start a lot of parameters and input after the design is "growing" what s necesary for each part

is called "user defined parameters"

Is usefull to assign materials or every kind of necesary inforlmation from the beginning

You can have in table every information you need

supplier;cost;timming and with some relaition cost etc

Cristelino
Edited by: cristelino

Exmples are always helpful. Have a look at this one. I think it'll be self explanitory. Copy / pastethis as cust_bom.fmt

.breakdown
%$type %$name contains:
.titles Qty; Name; Type; Material; Cost;
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
.row %$quantity[-5d]; %$name[-18.18s]; %$type[-9.9s]; %material[-30.30s]; %cost[-6.2f]
============================================================ ====================
.summary
Summary of parts for assembly %$name:

.titles Quantity; Name;
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
.row %$quantity[-5d]; %$name[-20.20s]

TOTAL COST: $%[$total(cost)][7.2f]

TOTAL PART COUNT: %[$total($quantity)][-5d]

Cristelino, I'll lookinto User-Defined Parameters,

Provan, How does one export the model tree?

Indifo2, I understand teh individual parameters ( I think..) but where do I copy and past this info..

sorry, but this is a bit new for me..
smiley5.gif

Thanks!
smiley17.gif

When you create the new parameters NOT already defined by Pro that"s mind "user defined"

Proe is NOT calculate the mass or area surface without your command

I propose to send you an example

You must tell me what you want to have in Booms ballons and i create for you a little example

smiley2.gif

Cristelino

Cristelino, I keep posting questions and you keep on answering them!
smiley36.gif

Thanks for the offer, I suppose what I'd like to have in my BOM would be

material andmass, and maybe if it was a third party bought in component, maybe the model number and vendor? would these all be user-defined?

Thanks

James

BTW I am trying the "one gram of practice is worth one tonne of theory" .. not as easy as it sounds though..
smiley36.gif

Cheers
smiley2.gif

Edited by: james.lynch

James -

The info should be pastes into a file named something like
custom_bom.fmt. Then, you use the config.pro option bom_format <path
to file's location> to tell Pro where the file is.

Then, when you do an Info / BOM / Screen, your BOM will be displayed using the new format.

Sorry that was lost in the translation, and spread across several posts.

Let me know if you need more detail.

-tsl

i SUPPOSE YOU ALREADY read articles posted on this site

is very clear explained there more abbout Repeat Region and other Boom function

yeah, I've read pretty much everything I can get my hands on and watched all related webcasts on repeat regions on Pro/Detail.. just trying to get the "one Gram or practice" now.. Thanks to all your replies and help, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!
smiley4.gif

but what I was also trying to do was to customise the HTML BOM generated by the info/bill of materials menu the same way you use the repeat region parameters in Detail.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back