Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

inexpensive way to get license

Fahad Alizai

Hello Everybody!
All of you are experienced users of cad/cam softwares, I think you can guide me in a better way.
I want to get a commercial license of cad/cam software(preferably pro/e), but can not afford to buy a latest version. So, can i buy a license of an old version like pro/e wf2 at a discounted price.
Other suggestions will also be welcomed.
Regards!

He said 'commercial license', the student edition does not allow commercial use.

As far a s I know, there's no way to buy an older version license. All licenses are issued by PTC, either directly or through a VAR, and they don't sell "old" licenses.

The licenses don't really work that way anyway. An active license or support contract gives you access to PTC support and any new versions that come out during your license period. It doesn't allow you to use any specific version, per se. It allows all versions up to the current. As long as you have an active maintenance contract, you can update your license to the latest version. Once your contract expires, you cannot get a new license for new versions, but you can still use the older versions.

It's not like MS Office or Adobe CS where a purchase gets you a single version of the software.

All you can do to get a legal licence is to buy a computer with ProE on it.

The licence connect the physical adress of the computer with the server in PTC land

who sells new computers with pre-installed pro-E???
If someonw, then there must be a license cost attached to it..

BNM-engine said:
All you can do to get a legal licence is to buy a computer with ProE on it.

The licence connect the physical adress of the computer with the server in PTC land

Actually, while the license is connected to a Mac address (NIC) on the PC, legally it is owned by a company or individual. Just because you purchase a PC with Pro/E and a working license on it does not make it legal.

Last I knew, the only way to legally obtain Pro/E licenses from another company was by purchasing that company and it's assets. I don't think PTC allows the resale of licenses outside those circumstances. That was several years ago, however, so it may have changed.

From what I recall, Doug is correct. Basically what it boils down to is if you want to use Pro/E (Creo) on a commercial basis you have to buy a commercial license of the current software version. You then own the right to run whatever modules you purchased at the current release and typically older releases if you choose. A maintenance contract will allow you to run newer releases as they come out by getting a revised license file for your license server (tied to a MAC address or addresses). PTC has strict rules about how a license is legally obtainedand last I knew forbids any sort of change in ownership of licenses outside of corporate mergers orbuyouts. That process involves working with PTC tolegaly transfer the ownership of the license(s).If anyone offers to sell you a commercial license of Pro/E cheap or a PC with it pre-loaded and they're not a reseller and charging you for the license in addition to the hardware, you're probably breaking the law.

There are other CAD packages that are less expensive and might suit your needs, but if you have to have Pro/E (Creo) and only need 1 license, you're probably pretty much stuck paying current list price for your region to be legal.

AS the original poster is saying "preferably pro/e" I assume it's, well, a preference and not a strict request, so I'm asking, is Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Personal Edition restricted to "non commercial" use? Last time I checked the terms of use there seemed to be no limitation in that sense, and the PE is completely free...

Paolo

The law on softwarelicensing is different in Europe than the USA.InEuropean lawsoftware vendors cannot preventthe transfer of licenseownershipwhen ownership of the hardware changes. It is therefore possible to legally purchase a second hand computer withunsupported software installed and to legally use the software. The problem comes if the machine dies or you want to upgrade as you can't then get a new license file from PTC. In this case in Europe PTC have to allow the new owner to pay just the cost of resupporting the software and not insist that a new license is purchased.

I know some of the "Personal Edition" type CAD software can be used in a commercial environment and I want to say Creo Elements Direct was one of them. They just limit functionality, something like the number of components that can exist in an assembly is restricted to 50.Check the details before you go that route, but it's worth looking into. Never hurts to expand your skill set that way too.

OpticalBoffin - good point. The law may have yet another twist where the original poster resides.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back